Thursday, January 26, 2006

Musical Decorations

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. " Frank Zappa


I was tagged by ZombieSlayer about music - songs that remind me of a person, place, or specific event in life.

Ever since I was a young girl, I have loved listening to music. My grandparents and parents had the most influence on my musical taste. From my mother and grandparents, I got a taste of country music, but I didn't appreciate it until I was older. I remember my brother taking me to a country bar when I was in my early twenties and showing me how to country dance - swing, two step, ten step, waltz. We went to this old barn of a place at the State Line in Idaho called "Kelly's", which had a live band, headed of course, by Kelly. Some of my favorite country songs I heard out there while kicking up my heels - like "Fishin in the Dark" by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, "Devil Went Down to Georgia" by Charlie Daniels, and that one song by Hank Williams Jr. about why people drink and roll smoke. Going to Kelly's was always fun and I rarely sat out a dance - I can't help but smile when I hear those old songs. My favorite country singer who is linked to someone I still think about a lot is Waylon Jennings. Whenever I hear "Luchenbach, Texas", I think of my grandfather and the times I spent with him out on the farm. They were, quite possibly, the best and most simple years of my life.

Another song that has special meaning for me is "Close to You" by the Carpenters. This is because H sings this to me sporadically while spinning me around in his arms and holding me close. It's such an old fashioned song and I never had particular thoughts about it before H started singing it to me. Now it's sort of "our song".

I have a huge section on my Nano devoted to "The Oldies", which I should clarify is anything from the 60's and 70's. Anytime I want to relax, I listen to this list because it reminds me of summers out at the lake. My biggest care in the world was whether or not it would be cloudy or who had to help with the dinner dishes. The cabin was a bustling place on weekends in the summer - there weren't too many times when the place was not crowded with mostly family, but also family friends. Grandpa always pulled us water-skiiing behind the boat, we took long walks on the dirt roads in the evening and collected wildflowers, and stayed up late with my cousins talking. There was no decent TV reception, so the radio was always going and oldies were always playing - Three Dog Night, Otis Redding, Diana Ross and the Supremes, just to name a few. Oldies made up the soundtrack for my lazy days at the lake.

Lately, anything about peace and war and the general state of the world today are songs I've listened to and really connected with, like "What's Goin On?" by Marvin Gaye and "Imagine" by John Lennon. I know the songs were written for very different times, but were the times so different compared to now?


18 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I think it's called "Family Tradition."

My, this is a whole other side of H. the rest of us don't know. That is so sweet.

9:21 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Thanks for taking the tag, Notta. I was really curious to see what kind of music you marched to.

"Devil Went Down to Georgia" by Charlie Daniels,

Love this song.

Was it Waylon Jennings that saved the world when the Martians attacked in the movie Mars Attacks? I don't remember, but I think so.

I don't remember that Carpenters' song. I'll have to hear it. Cool you and H have a song. Ours is "Golden Feather." I posted the mp3 awhile back. Hope you got a chance to hear it.

2:59 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tessence - Thanks for the song title - I just couldn't remember. :-P

ZS - I don't know about Mars Attack and Waylon Jennings. I'll have to look for a song clip of your special song - I missed seeing it on your blog.

12:11 PM  
Blogger greatwhitebear said...

I can't imagine two more pertinent songs than "Imagine" or "What's Goin On?"

remind me to blog about Bob Seger's "Main Street" sometime.

1:15 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

The times and personality types never change. Technology and the faces are the only things that change.
Close to You always reminds me of my boyfriend when I was 17, especially "..sprinkle moondust in your hair of gold and starlight in your eyes of blue". I wonder what he looks like now?

2:04 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

GWB - Thanks for reminding me of Bob Seger - I had forgotten, somehow.

TSHS - Before it became H and my song, when I heard "Close to You", it reminded me of that movie where the husband sang it to the wife in front of her class while she was trying to teach. It was his attempt to win her back - I thought it was so romantic. :-) As far as old flames, I don't know too many people who look the same as they did when we were all 17 (myself included). :-P

3:42 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I saw that movie too, but I can't remember the name. CRS strikes again. :(

6:11 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - CRS? I know I've heard that, but I can't remember what it means. :-P My excuse is that it's Friday and it's been a week from hell.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Notta, I haven't listen to a lot of country music but I like Garth Brooke's "I got friends in low places" song. I figured the next time I go karaoke singing I would sing it. My personal favorite is the They Might Be Giants song, "Build a Little Bird House in Your Soul" probably because it makes me so darn happy. I like to think of it as my personal mantra song.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angelique - That's a good song from Garth Brooks. It'd be a good karaoke song - I can picture you and your sister belting it out. :-P I haven't heard of the other song you mentioned by They Might Be Giants. I'll have to expand my horizons a bit. :-)

7:26 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Can't Remember Shit

12:45 PM  
Blogger Faltenin said...

Intersting - I think it's worrying that these songs still sound so modern, like "Talkin' bout a revolution" by Tracey Chapman. Will we never learn?

I've currently got "You ready to be Heartbroken?" running in circles between my ears. Lloyd Cole for those of you who'd like a listen.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Faltenin - I've never heard either of the songs you mentioned. I'll have to give them a listen.

Thanks for visiting my blog. :-)

7:46 AM  
Blogger Faltenin said...

Hi Notta - thanks for your visit!

I hope you didn't find the postings too disturbing - last person who started with post #1 told me it made her cry :-(

But do check out the songs, though :) Much more talented people.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Ha, no, your posts didn't make me cry. Lately, the only thing that makes me cry is a dentist drill.

9:23 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Notta - Grab it from here.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Thanks ZS. :-)

5:34 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

That's an interesting song. How did it come to be you and your wife's song?

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home