Friday, January 06, 2006

To Die For

Okay, I never thought I'd use the phrase "to die for" for something that is non-chocolate, but I found this yarn (pictured above) at the local quilting shop and about shit bricks when I saw the price (almost $18 per ball). Any knitter knows that you need at least two balls to do any decent sized project. So, for the last hour, I have been scouring the internet yarn buying sites to find the cheapest price for this yarn (which is about $11 per ball). While I pine away for fine yarn like this (because it looks like a vine with little flowers are on it, which I find very feminine and dainty), I wonder why I want it so much since I have no idea what I'll make with it. Also, it's not like I'm a "dainty and flowery" type of gal, so I would not wear anything made with this yarn. Nothing this pretty would go with my normal mode of dress - khakis and plain colored t-shirt. That means, like so many of my other knitting and sewing projects, it would have to be given to one lucky recipient for a birthday or special occasion. Okay, now on to more scouring the internet to find just the right project for this lovely little yarn....

5 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I thought it was cheese at first.

My Mom makes killer blankets. A nice hand-made blanket makes the house cozy. There's an idea for ya.

Would love to see your finished work. I'll show the Mrs. Hopefully it will inspire her.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

when my mother in law first started making sweaters for Nutmeg, i thought that they were not only beautiful but cheaper alternative to buying her clothes. then i saw the price of the yarns in the fancy knitting stores where she buys it!!! now i realize that the handmadeness makes them not only better than store-bought, but often more expensive as well.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - Yarn like that I think is good for a scarf or a small shawl. I'm working on a shawl right now - I'll post pics when I get it done. :-)

Tessence - Yarn is very expensive. People don't realize. Then, add in all the time spent to make a particular project. That's why I'd never sell my stuff - I'd never get enough to make it worthwhile. You can still sew things for cheaper than buying, but definitely not the case for knitting. :-P

9:49 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

A shawl or scarf is about all you could make from that yarn. Looks like it would be tough to work with. The finished product would likely be prickly and scratchy.
Did I talk you out of it? ;)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - Unfortunately, no. You have not talked me out of it yet, but the discounted price of $11 per ball (not including shipping and handling for internet orders) might prevent me from getting it. It's just so pretty...

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home