Saturday, September 03, 2005

The Big City

The most entertaining part of our visit to San Francisco was watching "Bush Man". K felt compelled to take this picture to honor the man who provided us with endless entertainment over our fish and chips lunch at Joe's Crab Shack (where we had a very nice view of Bush Man's shenanigans). For anyone who is unfamiliar with his tactics, Bush Man sits quietly behind his makeshift shrub and scares unsuspecting passersby by rattling the bushes and growling a gutteral "BOOOOO!". At times, his efforts are foiled by tourists who stand beside him and gawk, thereby alerting others to his intentions. I am ashamed to say that he actually caught me off guard (even though I knew about him already) and he was rewarded with an "Oh shit!".
This is my favorite picture from our visit to Alcatraz. It reminds me of what one of the prisoners said on the audio tour - "you're there behind bars and outside, you see life happening". He talked about seeing a girl come into the office - the first girl he'd seen in over seven years. Apparently, the wardens and prison guards (and their families) had to live somewhere, so they lived on the island along with the prisoners. Of course, they had separate apartments, but still....

This is K outside the Metreon - he loved the Playstation store where you can preview and play upcoming games. This is an actual genuine smile from K after an admonishment from me to "Don't smile - don't you dare smile!".

All in all, a very good, but very exhausting trip to the big city.

8 Comments:

Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Apparently he's not been arrested. He seems to have some morals - he doesn't scare small children.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Maynard said...

Sounds like a great time! I have never been there -- would love to go someday.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Good Shepherd - it was a great time. :-) You should go when you get a chance - it's fun to see new places.

9:01 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Ah, there he is! I keep hearing about Bush Man and he's never there whenever I go to S.F. He's famous there. Know so many people who have been scared by him. :)

9:06 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Oh yes, the original Bushman has been arrested several times but they were not successfully able to make a ticket stick, if I recall correctly. But I think this guy is a copycat Bushman.

I don't like the Bushman.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - maybe there's one in Santa Barbara?

Tessence - Yeah, I have to admit that I was irritated when he scared me. When I was watching him scare others, I was amused, but I was waiting for someone to go up and smack him.

6:25 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Notta - We have our own characters, but none as cool as Bush Man. There used to be The Boxer but I haven't seen that guy in years.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

I'd hate to think about the damage The Boxer might have dished out. :-P

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home