Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Visit to Seattle

This evening, I'll be headed home from my mini-vacation in Seattle. It's been so nice to get away and not be on any kind of schedule. I was able to see my good friends, spend Father's Day with my Dad, and take in a few sights. Two of my friends I have not seen in a year and I was surprised at how easy it was to pick up where we left off - it was like I'd never left. I don't think I've laughed this much in ages, which has done wonders for reducing my stress level. Purposely, I did not rent a car - mainly to avoid the cost - but also so that it would force me to walk a bit more. Dad rented a few flicks - Nashville (a 1975 Robert Altman film) and Glory Road. Both were pretty good, but Nashville was quite interesting and has stuck in my brain just from the sheer odd-ness of the story. I won't do a movie review for it, but if you want something a bit off the beaten path, then I would suggest this show. The pictures below are from Alki beach:

Anchor at Luna Park

cute goslings at boat launch


obligatory "flower" shot - because I love flowers

picture in concrete of swimmers at Luna Park

view of Space Needle from Alki

Interesting History of Alki: According to the government site for parks in the Seattle area, Alki beach was where the first white settlers came to the Seattle area in 1851. They were greeted and helped to build housing by Chief Seattle and his tribe. One of the first proposed names for Seattle was "Duwamish", which came from the Chinook word "duwampsh" (meaning many colored river). Apparently, in the early 1900's, Luna Park was built up - complete with amusement rides and music (none of which remain today) and was considered the "Coney Island of the West".

8 Comments:

Blogger Vest said...

Pleased that you feel more relaxed and have been enjoying yourself. Nice pics.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Thanks Vest. :-)

7:54 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks for the interesting bit of history!
The only thing I liked about Nashville was the Keith Carradine song-I'm Easy.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - I read several reviews and some people loved it and others hated it. It was sort of a "train wreck", so I couldn't not watch. :-P

1:19 PM  
Blogger Purring said...

I love it when people share pictures. Thanks.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Kari - No problem, I had a lot more, but these turned out the best.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Notta, I am glad that you took a break. It's good to recharge the batteries. I have to admit I have always wanted to check out Seattle, I hear it's very pretty up there.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Kitkat - No, sadly, I don't think Seattle Center has changed much. I can't think of any place around the Pacific Northwest that is good for rides, unless you want to trek to Idaho to go to Silverwood.

Angelique - I love Seattle in the summer. If you and your hubby like the outdoors, then there is plenty to do. It's worth a trip, but I'm biased since I grew up in WA.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home