Sunday, June 04, 2006

10 Most Important S-Words

I shamelessly stole this idea from Julia - here is my list of very important S-words, however they are subject to change at my whim:

1. Summer Vacation - This happens for me in 7.5 school days, or 9.5 calendar days. This is my most important s-word because I'm having a lot of....

2. Stress - This also happens towards the end of every school year because my students are flaking out on me, my parents are wigging out, and my co-workers' eyes and brains have "glazed over". All of this means more stress because I am commonly sought out as the resident "fix it" person.

3. Shit - This is my most favorite swear word, besides "dammit", and it's what I say when I really don't know what else to say. It's also my mom's favorite swear word - I learned it from her.

4. Sewing - This is what I do when I stress out, because it's something that I have complete control over and usually can see positive progress on rather quickly.

5. Sighing - Apparently, I am doing this so much lately that my autistic students are now copying me, including the obligatory yawn and a small-voiced "excuse me".

6. Sleep - I've been having funky sleeping patterns lately. I get to bed at a decent hour, but because I am having trouble clearing my mind (or maybe it's the heat), I start waking up at 2 a.m., then each half hour until my alarm goes off at 4:45.

7. Starbucks - This is an indulgence that I allow myself a couple of times a week just to break up my routine and to have someone serve my wants/needs for a change.

8. Strength - Like I mentioned in my last post, I'm starting to feel the effects of working out regularly for the past month. Each time I go, I try to test my strength by either adding weight, increasing intensity, or doing more reps for even just one exercise. Again, it's my need to see progress.

9. Schedule - I'm on a very strict schedule during work, and I am trying to plan for when I won't be on a schedule so that I can still be productive. I have a hard time finding a balance and tend to relax too much, which makes it hard to go back to work in August.

10. Self-Employed - This is what I will be working towards this next year. My goal is that, wherever we end up, I will be working for myself so that I can regain some of the professionalism and autonomy that gets stripped away when one works for a state-run agency.

I will not tag anyone, but feel free to do this activity. It was good to stimulate my brain on an otherwise lazy Sunday.

9 Comments:

Blogger ~d said...

FUN fun fun to read-am not considering myself tagged-loved reading YOURS though!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

~d - Thanks! Hope you had a good weekend. :-)

8:02 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ahhh to be faculty. A Summer vacation that means something. ;)

As for "Sleep" try tylenol PM or Simply Sleep (Tylenol PM w/o the tylenol). It's non habit forming and helps you fall/stay asleep when you need it. Take it an hour or so befor you want to go to bed.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Laura - Do you also get summer off? It makes most of it worthwhile. :-)

7:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Nope... I'm administration. We have to WORK all summer so you faculty slackers have jobs to come back to ;)

7:35 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

I feel for ya, but after the way my year has gone, there is no way in hell I could do this job if I had to work in the summer. Right now, I'm questioning my sanity in promising to come back next year. :-/

6:09 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

My Grandchildren had arrived earlier than expected. "Grandpa I have never heard you swear before" said jacinta 10 when I stubbed my toes on the bathroom scales emerging from the bathroom.
My reply to my sweet innocent G/child was simply - "And how did you know I was swearing"

3:42 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Vest, they learn so early about swear words. My son is no exception, but at least he knows how to "code switch" and talk appropriate to his audience.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - I hate to admit, but that's another one besides "aww dammit!"

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home