Thursday, June 01, 2006

Reckless Abandon

So I've almost hit the "one month" milestone of having joined 24 Hour Fitness and actually using the membership (quite a concept, I know). I wake up at about 4:45 most mornings and get there before the rush. Previously, when I've tried an exercise routine, it was in the evening, which lasted for about a couple of weeks, especially during times when work was demanding. There was always a reason why I was too tired at the end of my workday to go exercise. At least in the morning, nothing has happened to screw up my day yet, so I cannot make any excuse to not get my ass outta bed and get to the club. I thought I would be more self-conscious about the state of my appearance that early in the morning - I basically roll out of bed, manage to brush my teeth, get dressed, and go, which means that my hair and face could be in all sorts of disarray. However, it seems that I'm in good company in the wee hours of morning, because I'm definitely not the only poor soul with bad hair.

For a few weeks now, I have been annoyed when I begin working out, because about five minutes into my time on the elliptical, a middle-aged man shows up with disheveled hair and a muscle shirt, popping his gum loudly and singing to what is on his iPod. He also closes his eyes and throws his body all about when he's exercising - it's quite distracting. In general, he is "loud" and seems to be exclaiming with how he presents himself, "Here I am in all my glory - take it in!". Let me be clear - it's not that I'm as much annoyed at him as I am at myself. I don't have the kind of reckless abandon that other people seem to. First of all, there's no way in hell I can close my eyes and move my body all over when I'm on the workout equipment, otherwise I'd fall off in a most disgraceful fashion and land in a heap on the floor. Secondly, I care way too much about how others view me and I like to remain as inconspicuous as possible, which I accomplish partly by not making eye contact with others while I am working out.

This self consciousness seems to be a theme lately. When we visited Carmel a few weekends ago and were listening to the band play in the park, there were people who got up to dance while I opted to sit and relax. These people were not the prettiest people in the world, or the most graceful. But they didn't care - they shook their groove thangs anyway without a thought as to what others' impressions of them were. When I drive around or walk around, and I catch someone looking at me, I scowl at them as if to say "don't look at me!!!". What is my big aversion to being noticed, even for positive reasons? How can I live my life with a little less anxiety and uncertainty and a little more confidence and assuredness?

10 Comments:

Blogger Purring said...

Be you. Because you are wonderful.

6:08 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

What is my big aversion to being noticed, even for positive reasons? How can I live my life with a little less anxiety and uncertainty and a little more confidence and assuredness?

What Kari said. Just love you for being you. You noticed that there were those who were neither graceful nor beautiful who were dancing and having a great time in front of everyone and they didn't care. Long ago, they made a choice not to care and they stuck by it. You can do this too.

6:58 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Oh, let me reword something. Not at all implying that you're not beautiful or graceful, I'm saying that if they don't care, then you definitely shouldn't either.

7:05 PM  
Blogger ~d said...

Hey girl-when you figure out the secret-let me know. {{{HUGS}}}

8:56 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Kari - It's not that I'm not me, but I don't want people to look at me being me. :-P

ZS - No worries about your wording, I understood what you meant. It's just something I have to work on - not being self-conscious doesn't come naturally for me.

~d - I'll let you know. I just haven't gotten there yet. ;-)

6:31 AM  
Blogger ~d said...

Hey Notta,
I was a lot less self-conscious (follow?) before kids. Like I may not have been in tip top shape THEN, but I didn't CARE as much. Wonder if there is a corralation?

7:19 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I guess I'm your opposite. I've always walked to the beat of my own drummer, and I don't care what people think.
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter if people think you're weird, geeky, fat, ugly, thin, stupid....... What matters is that you live a good, loving life!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

~d - Hmm... my self consciousness has always been there, before and after my son.

TSHS - I know in my brain what matters, but I can't always make it transfer to my "gut". Maybe it's something we get with age...

Kit - Yeah, now that I think about it, you have a point. It doesn't bother me at all when I'm at work, and people look at me there, but that is where I'm most sure of myself. As far as working out, nope, I'll always keep my eyes open. I just don't have the balance required for some of the things I see people do. :-P

5:52 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

HI there Pretty Lady. Most guys look at the attractive ladies not the ugly ones, be wanton blow them a kiss.If they are ugly ignore them.
Recently I was sat on a seat in the Supermarket when my view was blocked by this gorgeous young woman who asked "What are gazing at you old creep" I replied "Hang on a bit I may be old but I can still afford the 200 Dollars".

7:21 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Vest - You crack me up! That reminds me of several years ago when I was walking into Target and this old man wolf-whistled at me. I told my friend, and she thought it was horrible, but I was amused. I guess maybe I was a bit less self conscious back then. :-P

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home