Sunday, May 06, 2007

Movie Review: 10 Items Or Less

A few weekends ago, H came home with this movie from Blockbuster. It is a small independent film with only one actor you'd recognize - Morgan Freeman. Freeman is one of those actors who can do no wrong in my eyes. His role in this film was no exception. The other actors and actresses were pretty much "unknowns".

In the movie, Freeman plays himself, an aging actor who is considering doing an independent film to stay in the game. He gets a ride to do some research at this small market, where he meets Scarlet, the cashier in the "10 items or less" lane. He needs to get back home after his "research", but the kid who dropped him off is nowhere to be found, and he can't get anyone to pick him up. So, he bums a ride from Scarlet, who has a few things to do before she can drop Freeman back at home. In the course of things, they learn about each other, and Freeman helps Scarlet get ready for a job interview so that she doesn't have to work as a cashier at the store her ex-who-is-screwing-another-checkout girl is manager.

I won't give away much more of the movie than I already have. I do have a few favorite parts, but to describe them would ruin it for others. I will describe one scene that is my absolute favorite. Freeman and Scarlet are sitting on the top of her crappy little Gremlin, eating Arby's, and just killing time before her interview. Freeman and Scarlet share with each other their "10 items or less" - the things you can't do without and the things you could do without in life.

Bottom line: The movie is very sweet and sentimental, but funny too. It's really not like anything else I've seen, and the actors did a great job and played well off of each other. I would give this 9 out of 10 dancing feet.

My "10 Items or Less"

Things I can't live without: family, friends, chocolate, sun, water, laughing, a good nap, hugging, a nice hot bubble bath, and my car.

Things I could definitely do without: inconsiderate drivers, olives, judgement from others, *being bloated and gassy, beestings, spiders, commercials, sensitive skin, pushup bras, and empty ice cube trays.

*bloated and gassy are not my normal modes, but have gone hand-in-hand with the appearance of Jellybean.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ten items or less? That's a good ice breaker.

I like Morgan Freeman. He's one of those actors that I've yet to see bomb. He'll make a bad movie watchable and a good movie better.

I never even heard of this one though.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good. You might like it, but it might be slower-paced than what you're used to.

6:18 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Sounds interesting.I will have to write this one down for J to take a look at when he comes home tonight. Hope your feeling better from all that morning sickness. It will pass though.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tweety - I can't wait for it to pass. Ugh!!

4:37 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I know with Kora it was up until the four month period and then with Brianna it was all the way through off and on. I mean I would feel great and then oops its not so great. So lets hope it passes soon for you. Take it easy. Take care. Tweets.

5:26 AM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

That sounds like a totally decent movie. A slow pace is fine by me, so long as the characters and acting are solid.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Notta, I could never do without olives. I love those salty things and a good push up bra really makes my husband happy. I agree about the empty ice tray. I hate when that happens. It sounds like a good movie and I am going to check it out.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

SME - I totally agree. I can sit through about anything as long as it's decently done.

Angelique - I have no idea why I have such an aversion to olives, but I always have. It's one of the tastes I never acquired. I know guys like push-up bras, but they are so uncomfy and I feel like I'm gonna "spill out". I hate that feeling. Ugh! Let me know what you think if you watch the movie. :-)

6:05 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

We love Morgan Freeman. I'll have to take a look for this.

I think I finally trained L not to leave the ice trays empty. It took me 30 years though.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - Even though I hate empty ice trays, I'm usually the culprit. :-P

6:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I completely agree with you! Morgan Freeman is such an amazing actor. He can capture so much with a mere facial expression!

8:15 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I'm totally with you on the olive thing. I've tried my whole life to tolerate them....no luck so far. Blech.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Michael- I think my favorite of his was "Shawshank Redemption". Can't get much better than that.

SME - I gag at just the smell. Most people think I'm weird, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. :-P

12:56 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Happy Mothers Day tomorrow. Have a good one. Sit back and enjoy the day. I am going to try. Usually the girls wont go to dad if they need something so its me. But I think I just might direct them in his direction tomorrow.

3:39 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

You like black olives, SME!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tweety - Happy Mother's Day to you!

TSHS - My mom didn't know for the longest time that I hated olives. I think I was in adulthood before I told her. :-P

8:55 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I have this in my Netflix queue; maybe I'll move it up.

Visiting from kitkat.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Bearette - Thanks for visiting!

8:08 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Notta, you KNOW when SME doesn't like something! ;)
She always INSISTED on having black olives on her pizza.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Ha, ha - okay, I'll give in on this one. :-P

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home