Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Happiest Place on Earth

When K first arrived for the summer, we asked him what he'd like to do during his stay. He wanted to go swimming, go on a fishing trip, and go to Disneyland. The swimming is easy since our apartment complex has a pool, and the fishing trip is scheduled for the end of July out of Half Moon Bay. This past Friday, we visited Disneyland. K had been a few years ago with my mom, but I had not visited since I was 14. Let's just say that it's a bit different than what I remember.

I don't remember them doing a fireworks show behind the palace, but they probably did. I was impressed by this year's fireworks - they topped the ones we saw at Great America on the 4th. In honor of Disneyland's 50th anniversary, they went all out - they had Julie Andrews narrate and had voice clips and music from various movies and attractions to accompany each set of fireworks. This was probably my favorite part of the day - I cannot get enough of fireworks.

We also went to the "Innovation" exhibit where new technology is showcased. In here, they did a presentation of Honda's robot, Asimo. Right away, I realized that this was where South Park probably got their idea about the "Awesom-O" episode, which is one of my favorites. The presentation was cheesy, but at least we were able to see what this robot can do. K was worried about Asimo becoming smart enough to realize that he was being dominated by humans and possibly planning a revolt. I said, "Oh honey, they'll never make robots THAT smart", while inside my head I was envisioning a scene from I-Robot.

Throughout the park, there were Photomosaic pictures of different Disney characters. This was my favorite. There were newer characters like Nemo and Buzz, but I prefer the "old-school" characters.
My favorite pictures were of things like this - odds and ends that you find tucked away while waiting for a ride or while trying to find a quiet spot in order to gather my wits.

We caught part of the parade, and the thing I couldn't get out of my head was how incredibly awful it would be to have the job of wearing a costume in 95 degree heat.

The best parts of Disneyland were the rides. My top three rides were Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, and It's A Small World. We rode most of the popular new rides and I got incredibly soaked on Splash Mountain, but nothing can hold a candle to the rides from the days of old.
K had difficulty appreciating "It's a Small World", especially because the ride is pretty long and the song plays the entire time. But when you think of the intent of Disney in creating the ride, it's hard not to recognize the value behind the sentiment.

All in all, we had a very good time. It was very crowded, though, and I was amazed by the number of people riding those mechanized wheelchairs. It's not my place to judge, but some of them looked healthy enough to walk around. Being bumped and jostled while getting from ride to ride is all part of the experience, after all. I was proud of K - he tried every ride we went to, even Space Mountain. This was even after our particular car suffered from a "malfunction", and we had to get out and be loaded into a different car while the ride was halted. He does not usually like roller coasters and balks at anything that turns upside down (which nothing at Disneyland did), but he was quite a trooper. I know people who have mixed feelings about Disneyland, but I think everyone should get to experience the "happiest place on earth" at least once in their lifetime.

8 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

lol, i'm glad Nutmeg isn't old enough to read your blog yet because being asked to take my kid to Disneyland sounds like the worst to me. but i think my parents want to take her, so hopefully i'll be off the hook.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tessence - I wasn't too thrilled about going, originally. The drive down there was long and hot and I don't particularly like southern California. It's not very pretty, but we had a pretty good time. Your parents would have a lot of fun taking Nut, but most of the rides have height requirements. From what I can see, it's not worth taking a kid under age 5 or 6.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Sounds like you had fun, Notta. I have never been to Disney land or Disney World. My sister lived in Miami and one of the places she told me that she would never take me to was Disney World because she thought it sucked. I think she went on a busy weekend when it was very crowded. Maybe I should plan a vacation to go visit or am I too old to appreciate it?

7:06 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angelique - Oh, yeah, it was very busy, but you just have to plan for that. You also have to go realizing that things are overpriced. I don't think you're too old - my mom went for the first time a few years ago when she was 55 or so. She loved it.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad you went! You are right. I've never been to the original, but I'm sure the lines were long. My 87 year old Aunt would love it! She's great about having fun!!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Michael - I can't believe you haven't been! I should believe - my mom waited a long time also.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

During my overseas excursions while serving in the R N, it was the policy of the Admiralty not to sanction visits to disneyland and other frivolous exciting places of pleasure, although occasionally there were the good times.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed Your visit to Disneyland.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Vest - You'd think that the "higher ups" would want you guys to have fun once in a while to stay motivated. :-P

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home