Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I Want My Mommy!!!!

Today was the first day of school for our district. It started out so promising - I got to work in one piece and without being stressed from the drive, people had smiles on their faces, and it wasn't too cold, despite the layer of fog. Then, the children arrived. The start of school can be such a harrowing time, not just for the students, but for their parents. I anticipated having to calm down students who are "high needs", so I tended to rotate between those classrooms, but they were just fine. Suddenly, I was summoned to the kindergarten classroom. Apparently, "Johnny" would not separate from mom, and she needed to return to work. When I got there, he was sitting on his square of the classroom carpet while the teacher was informing the class about the rules. Johnny was not listening to a word she said, but instead had his gaze fixed upon his mother, who was crying silently, while he whispered commands for her "not to leave" and to "stay right there". When the children were allowed to stand and move around, Johnny went straight to his mother and attached himself firmly to her thigh, and it all went downhill from there. I thought I won him over at one point when I had him in the middle of the room doing puzzles with other kids, but mother did not take my cue to leave, but began moving towards her son and snapping pictures with her digital camera. But alas, he became aware of her continued presence, and resumed his post as her "leg tumor" (which is my term of endearment for a child who can't separate from his mother). I thought I had a second chance to integrate him into the classroom when it was time for snack and recess, but mother remained by his side asking him questions like "do you want to go play with your friends?". At one point, mother did break away to use the restroom, at which point I had to grab Johnny so he would not run after her. I think I finally have my hearing back after the temporary impairment from Johnny's wails of despair yelled into my right ear. After mother came back, there was no way in hell Johnny would let her out of his sight. Finally, accepting defeat, I mentioned to her that it was her choice to either take him home, or for me to hold him while she made her exit. She opted to take him home. Before they left, I told Johnny that I looked forward to seeing him the next day, that he would come to kindergarten like a big boy, and that mommy would not be staying with him.

It's difficult for me to deal with situations like this. At first, I was sympathetic with the mother, but that quickly faded as it became clear that she would not leave Johnny. When my son was young, he pulled the same thing in preschool. The difference is that I actually left him, and he was fine after five minutes. It didn't take even a week for the behavior to stop. I also could not understand why she would ask the child what he wanted to do - it's obvious what he wanted. How hard is it to say "you need to do this"? When do kids begin learning that there are just certain things that have to happen in this world? The icing on the cake was when he would shoot her glances that clearly said "I have you right where I want you". That was the point I quit trying and asked her to either let me take him and help him join his class or take him home. I hope that I will see him tomorrow sans mother.

14 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

That mother needs a quick kick in the pants!
If the mother works, you'd think the kid would have been in daycare, and separation wouldn't be an issue anymore. Weird!
Didn't this woman prepare her son for the school experience AT ALL?

12:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That Mother needs the Judd Hersch kind of Psychiatrist in the movie "Ordinary People". tshmom asks an insightful question at the left! Sorry for your experience! Hope it gets better.

I'd like to LINK you to my site!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - It appeared that she did not prepare him, but the weird thing is is that he went to preschool last year and didn't have this issue. I'm baffled.

Michael - Jeez, yet another movie I need to watch. I don't have the background for your references. Suffice it to say that I'm of the mindset that "aww, that's too bad, but this is not a choice". It will get better - the first week is always rough. No problem about the link - thanks, and I'll do the same!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

ok, obviously this mom was not dealing with this very skillfully. but would it be so bad to let moms stay the whole first day?

Nutmeg has been using the very same tactics on me at bedtime lately -- the whisper -- and it's very heartrending.

why do you have to deal with this, anyway? what does it have to do with speech?

7:00 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tessence - No, I have no problem with letting parents stay the first day. It's just that, what happens on the second day when clear boundaries (kids go to school, parents go to work) are not established the first day? Some kids would be fine no matter what. Other kids, I'm not so sure... Part of my irritation is, I guess, because it's been a long time since K was little. But, I know there must have been times when he did things like this. I just don't remember my reaction. As far as why I'm dealing with this? I got asked by the psychologist, so in the spirit of "taking one for the team", I relented. But H wonders the same thing because it happened again today at my other school, which is making it much slower for me to get my service started. That is not fair to my students.

7:50 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Yeah, this one is baffling! It's obviously the mother who is having the separation issues, and the kid is playing it for all it's worth.

Our kids knew exactly what to expect on the first day of kindergarten. L would get them on the bus, then drive to school and meet them. He'd then walk them to their classroom door and say his goodbyes. Since the kids had already met their teacher and seen their classroom on family night, there was no need to enter the classroom with them. Prolonging the separation experience doesn't do ANYBODY any favors!
By the first day of 1st grade, the kids were familiar with riding the bus, and knew where their new classroom was. Dad was forbidden from accompanying them: "I'm not a BABY, Dad!"

You're right; "kids go to school, parents go to work". Case closed.

You are a wonderful team player. You deserve that award! ;)

1:26 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - Well, that's what our school does wrong, IMO. The kindergarten orientation, where the kids and parents come to class, was not until the first day. At my main school, it was the day before school and there were definitely less unhappy kids. Kids just really need to know what to expect. And either way, some kids just handle transitions harder. :-/

4:16 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Hopefully, the mother will realize what she is doing and drop off Johnny tomorrow sans the added drama of picture taking and the asking of redundant questions. If not, she will end up with a titty baby that will have her wrapped around her finger and that is not a good thing.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angelique - Actually, I checked with his teacher and he's been fine, if a little bit "sneaky" (teacher's words). At least he's here.

9:42 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Yeah, sneaky doesn't surprise me. He's learned to be a master manipulator. :(

3:13 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

My wife and I managed to bring up five sons despite me being at sea all too frequently. There were no special privileges for good behaviour and they learned quickly. why not to misbehave and instead assist towards the general wellbeing of the family, we were never harsh but sufficiently forceful.

What happened to "Spare the rod and spoil the child"

12:51 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Vest - I'm not sure what you mean about what happened to "spare the rod" - I'm definitely against physically punishing a child on a regular basis. I think I've spanked my son twice in his life and they were for major offenses. At any rate, different people have different parenting styles. I am too permissive, according to some people I know. :-P It's all a matter of perspective.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

The 'Rod' is definitive of any form of corporal punishment from a gentle but effective slap on the hand or bottom by a parent to bring a child to order, to that of a major indiscretion by a adolescent-teenager usually male who becomes worthy of six of the best across the butt.
I strongly disapprove of caning, and cannot recommend it as a deterrent, as it breeds resentment in the recipient. Believe me.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Vest said...

B T W, it is excruciatingly painful and too be avoided at all costs.

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home