Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I Must Have "Sucker" Tattooed on My Forehead

I've been struggling with a theme this week, and it seems to be popping up on a daily basis - helping others less fortunate than myself. I know we are supposed to do this, but after my experiences, I can see why most people don't. I was walking to our apartment complex mailboxes on Saturday to get my mail, when I am stopped by one of the residents, an elderly African American gentleman - we'll call him Bob - with his dog. Bob informed me that the mailman was not done delivering our mail yet, but that he would wait because he is waiting for a grocery gift card which he needs because he has no food in the house. He also let me know that at least a neighbor had been kind enough to hook him up with a beer and a cigarrette. He went on to explain that once he gets his card, he would have to walk all the way down to Albertson's, then push the shopping cart all the way back (which is about 1/2 mile away). Well, like an idiot, I felt sorry for him and offered him a ride to the store. He gratefully and immediately accepted, and told me he'd let me know when the mail gets done. So I walk back to my apartment and begin knitting, and in a few minutes, he knocks on my door. I take him down to Albertson's and, when we get there, he asks me if he can leave the rest of his mail in my car. I put on my best "dumbfounded" face, since my intention was to drop him off at the store, then go home. He then asks me, "are you going to wait here for me or are you going to come in?". I mumble that I will come in with him. All throughout our shopping trip, he is mumbling about "now, I can't go over $70" and "I need this to last me for two or three weeks". I am silent and irritated throughout our shopping excursion. We finally get to the checkout counter and the clerk rings up his items, but it is soon apparent that all of the groceries will cost more than the $70 he has on his card, and he instructs the checker to stop when the total is close to $70. When she does, he still has quite a few groceries left on the stand, and I stand still and quiet as he assures himself that "I've done pretty good". The checker looks annoyed at the amount of "go-backs", and he gives a silent pause, but I remain quiet. I know that the expectation of his is that I will have a heart and help him out by buying the rest of his groceries, which I refuse to do. Finally, he asks the checker to ring the rest of the items, and that he will just pay for them with cash. We get the groceries out to my car, I drive him to his apartment, and set the groceries on his outside step for him to deal with, then leave. A little while later, I feel guilty for not helping out a little more, and bring him some of the fish I caught. All seems to be well - I don't hear from Bob on Sunday. Then Monday, I am stepping out the door, and he is there asking me for a ride to the closest military base to buy some things. Even if I didn't have a good excuse, I'd have refused. I am now past being irritated with him - and now irritated with myself. I felt no danger in offering this man help, but it's clear that no matter how much I help, he will need more. What I find even more exasperating is that he has rambled on and on about trying to afford groceries, but also has a dog and a smoking habit, both of which are expensive. I also don't understand why this man is living in one of the most expensive places to live if he's on a very fixed income. The other thing that complicates matters is that Bob is a disabled veteran - he served in the Vietnam War. I have very strong feelings about the treatment of our veterans, since my son's grandpa (on his dad's side) also served in Vietnam. He was in a submarine and became exposed to a harmful substance (I'm not sure which substance), and as a result, became sick with cancer. I saw first-hand how much assistance he needed, and I also heard some of his stories. I was there to witness how he would weep openly when he saw those advertisements about sending money to less fortunate children. Something happened to that man, but no one really cared that his life was forever changed. He ended up passing away from cancer when he was 47 years old - K barely got to know his grandpa. Like Bob explained to me, there's not a day that goes by that he doesn't think about the war and not a day goes by that he isn't affected by it in some way. But he's one of the lucky ones.

This is a big dilemma for me. I feel cold and heartless when I refuse someone help, especially if I have the means. However, when I do help someone of my own accord, I end up regretting it. Then I think about how that person lives and I start thinking that I'd probably smoke and drink if I had to deal with some of the things that people deal with. So, it's really not my place to judge. But I need to find my own way to help on my own terms, otherwise I will just end up feeling like a sucker and not help at all. I know that's not how it's supposed to be.

15 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I know exactly how you feel. I pass by so many needy people on my way too and from work. The worst is when you see someone asking for help while you're carrying a bag full of your lunch back to the office.

I try to do what I can. I donate things to charity. I will buy someone food, but not give them cash.

Drug/alcohol abuse (I include cigarettes) go hand in hand with poverty because of the never ending cycle of stress and escape. I also think that if he's elderly, the dog might be his only friend. A lot of studies show that pets help aging people stay healthy psychologically and physically.

THere is a line, however. You want to help, but you don't want to be taken advantage of and you have to take care of your own needs first.

I mean, maybe if you are on your way to the store one day and you see him, you could give him a lift if he wants to tag along, but not go out of your way to take him there.

Does the store deliver? Some groceries in Chicago will let you shop at the store and then for a minimal fee will deliver to you. THere also might be some social service for elderly people that he might be able to find a volunteer to help him?

I know exactly how you feel though.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Laura - Well, in the spirit of helping him, I thought about gathering some resources/phone numbers that I could find easily enough on the internet. I doubt he has internet. There is a company called "Outreach" that provides transportation, but I don't know if this man "can't" drive or just can't afford a car. Safeway delivers, but you have to be able to have internet to access the site to order groceries. There is a senior center not far from our place, but the bus system around here is not great. I appreciate your feedback - it makes me feel better that I'm not alone. :-)

6:18 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I know what you mean. I firmly believe in random acts of kindness, but WHY do I attract the people who think it's a lifelong commitment?
I think printing him a list of resources is a great idea. Include a list of Veteran's Groups and sr. citizen activities in your area. I'm sure he's lonely and would benefit from socializing with his peers.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - Luckily, there are some other elderly people at our complex - one man who lives close to us who is also a disabled veteran. I know he talks to him because I see them outside chatting. Hopefully I can find some good resources for him.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's really weird that Safeway requires internet for delivery there. The Safeway-owned stores here will let you leave your groceries at the store and they deliver them to you.

Transportation is difficult. Does the service require you not be physically able to drive?

Does the other vet have a car?

Well, good luck.

5:07 AM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Hang in there. I try to help people as much as possible. The trick is to not have any expectations ever, of what it will do for them or what it will do for you. Do it because it's right.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Laura - I should give them a call and at least see what the options are. I think that, to access Outreach, you have to not be able to drive at all. Thanks for the ideas, though. :-)

United - I know, I helped this man because I wanted to. I think my difficulty is in dealing with others' expectations. That's where the guilt comes in.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Great White Bear, said...

I tend to agree with Laura. Bob is probably in as much of need of company as money.

Most communities of decent size have sevices for seniors and disabled that include some sort of dial a ride program.

Besides helping him get the social services he needs, perhaps the best thing you could do for him is take him to breakfast or lunch occasionally. It sounds like he is kinda lonely.

Besides, just think what it would do for his reputation to be seen in public with an attractive young woman!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Purring said...

I agree...it's very important to help BUT, on your own terms and there is nothing wrong with that. Certain people will take advantage if they see a kind soul.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

GWB - The problem is that we're in the San Jose area, but in a little suburb of about 100K people. I'm in the process of digging up some resources - hopefully I'll come up with something that helps. :-)

1:03 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Kari - I need to find some good ways to volunteer help. It's something I don't do enough of.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

I would imagine in the US that there are many services available to vets disabled or not. but Bob it seems is a crafty person and a bit of a user and fully expecting people like NW to cooperate with his wishes now that he has a new SUCKER to add to his benefits portfolio.
However, a well established fact is N W is not alone among the more charitable, the agonizing realisation that so many of my sedentary relations will never return my moolah they begged for; means, that I'll never take that R T W cruise on the New Queen Mary after all.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

I think it's a good thing that you have a big heart and are so willing to help someone out. I am so jaded now that as soon as someone I don't know approaches me with a question, I immediately say No. It sounds like this man is trying to work your good nature and that has happened before to me, too. There is nothing worse then realizing that who you thought was a good person was just mooching your time and money. The good news is that you can hopefully avoid him and maybe he will go away. Good Luck!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Vest said...

How to say "NO", type in on Google.
lots of info.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Vest and Angelique - Well, an update is that, even though I've seen Bob around the apartment complex, he has not asked me for anything else. I go back to work soon, then I really will not be around much.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home