Monday, July 24, 2006

The Almighty Dollar

So we are having a major heat wave here in California, which has shoved us into voluntary (for now) power conservation and prompted tips and warnings about how to avoid heat exhaustion and heat stroke. This past weekend, the temperatures were record-breaking, but people attempted to continue their activities as much as they could. One such activity was an outdoor concert in the San Jose area. Now, I would not have attended such an event, but many people chose to. That's fine - more power to them if they are prepared to handle the heat. The problem was that the concert promoters only allowed people to bring in one bottle of water per person, then charged $7 for each bottle of water once in the concert. People were dropping of heat exhaustion and heat stroke - extra medical emergency teams were hired to be "on hand" to treat any heat related injuries. The ambulances had to alternate hospitals that they took people to so as not to overwhelm any one emergency room. I'm having trouble seeing why, if the concert promoters were so concerned about the almightly dollar and "did the best they could at the time" for the people, why they didn't either cancel/postpone the concert until we have sane weather or allow people to bring in more water or at least charge a reasonable price for water they sold. Only after many people were being treated for heat illnesses did they lower the price of water to $1 per bottle. It never ceases to amaze me what some assholes will do for a dollar.

6 Comments:

Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - we have a window AC unit, but it's off today. Also, we don't run appliances until they say we can - usually after 7 p.m. We don't seem to have a warning today, but it's early yet...

2:40 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

It sounds like any other outdoor concert here in Texas. I went to Lolapoloza once when I was 18 and they didn't let us bring in any water. Water back then was 3 bucks (prices have inflated since then) for a dinky bottle of water. I refilled that bottle under the water misters at that concert. I wasn't the only one. People with cups would put them under just for some water. It was crazy but I shudder to think what would have happened if those things weren't there. I think it's sad that people try to make money in such a desperate situation but like they say what goes around comes around.

3:12 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

They should charge the concert promoters for the ETs and ambulances!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angelique - That sounds awful. I've never had to worry about such heat. This is the worst I've ever been in, and I haven't even been stuck out in it without relief. Nice to know things haven't changed much...

TSHS - Come to think of it, who does pay for it to have events staffed with extra emergency personnel? Is that the sort of thing that comes out of taxes? At any rate, I don't think promoters will change their tune until they have some sort of penalties for not thinking about public safety.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

Both of our Air Coonditioners are on heat at this moment.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Vest - I keep forgetting that your area is in winter. I hope you and your wife are keeping healthy this winter. I guess I shouldn't complain about the heat -- in February, I'll be wondering when it will come back. :-P

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home