Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Exposed

It happens at least once a year without fail. This year was no exception - in fact, it's happened twice already and it's not even Christmas break. Two of my wonderful little guys have "flashed" at school. I got to thinking about this phenomenon and wondering why little boys (kindergarten through second grade age) think that people want to see their thingy. I can't remember a year I've worked at a school and this has not happened. What's worse is that it's usually a kid I work with. Go figure! After all, do most of my students have difficulties with problem solving, appropriate social skills, and yes, even reasoning skills? Youbetcha. However, I also work with girls with those same issues who don't flash people on the playground, although the boys outnumber the girls in special education by at least 4 to 1. I think the only difference is that girls seem to wait to expose themselves until their late teens/early twenties until they are approached for the latest "Girls Gone Wild" video or until they are "falling-down-drunk" and in some sleazy country bar riding on the mechanical bull (no, I didn't do this, but I've seen it with my own eyes). Why do little boys and bigger girls expose themselves? Well, I can only surmise that the little boys do it for the reaction/attention that they get. So, why do big girls flash? Probably for the same reason little boys do....

10 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

Z mooned, not flashed, the playground in 3rd grade. He must've been a late bloomer. ;)
At that point in his life, Z would do ANYTHING for a laugh. His friends thought it was funny. :( L and I were LESS than amused, but my coworkers thought it was hysterical. Yeah, that's because it wasn't THEIR kid!
I recently learned that this is an ADD trait. Apparently these kids make great stand-up comics.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - Yeah, mooning is slightly different in my mind, especially if a kid is older. My step-son did that to his teacher when he was in junior high and got short term suspended. I think he was trying to tell the teacher he didn't like something, rather than doing it for a laugh. I'm not quite sure why he thought his butt could say something his mouth couldn't... But yes, I agree with you, it's mortifying when it's your kid. :-P

4:49 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Little boys flashing is odd. I remember a lot of us mooned, but showing our ding ding was something we didn't do as kids. It's kind of odd you had two happen.

As for young women, I assume it's to get noticed.

I'll have to show this post to my wife. She used to be a pre-school teacher and had a lot of troubled kids.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - Out of my seven years of working, six years have been in public schools. I've been working in about six schools (this year, three different ones). Every year, either I have been flashed by one of my kids or one of my kids have flashed other kids on the playground. I'd be interested to see what your wife thinks. :-)

7:38 PM  
Blogger Bert said...

i can only assume that you will be sending them my way soon, so that i can psychoanalyze their motivation.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Bert - If you could give me a clue, that would be good because I'm at a loss. The frequency is what baffles me. It's something I can count on. :-/

6:53 AM  
Blogger greatwhitebear said...

As for little boys, I think because they are fascinated by it, they just assume everyone else is too.

As for big girls, I think it is a relatively harmless way to be naughty!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

GWB - I don't know if my son ever went through this phase. Also, I got to thinking about what TSHS said and she's pretty right on - every boy who I've worked with at school who's flashed has had ADHD. :-P

Girls, yeah, it can be harmless. I never went through that phase either, at least publicly. ;-)

12:12 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Well, finally got an answer from my wife. Why do boys do it?
1) attention,
2) to prove theirs is bigger than others

I forgot what she said #3 was, but she gave me the three reasons why. She said it happens all the time in pre-school. I had no idea.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - I also have to add to the ADHD thing - the boy who flashed me last year was Autistic. Getting more and more of those kiddos - difficulty with seeing the consequences of actions. :-P

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home