Sunday, December 11, 2005

Christmas Treasures

During this Christmas season, I have been somewhat of a grinch. I'm not particularly moved by any Christmas songs and I don't enjoy fighting the crowd to get my Christmas gifts purchased. However, there are two things that I always love about the holiday season - time off from work and of course, the treats! Two examples of the wonderful Christmas treasures that I have had so far are pictured below. The first is a box of Wintry Peppermint Wonders from Trader Joe's, which is a gift that our friends brought us the other night when we had them over for dinner and games. I had never had these little gems before, but you can be sure that I'll be having some of these again!


The second treat is really yummy - the Burnt Almond Cake (which comes in white, chocolate, or marble) from a local place in San Jose called Dick's Bakery. I discovered this wonderful place from one of my fellow SLP's last week because she brought this heavenly creation to our holiday party.


So, if you're like me and having trouble "getting in the holiday spirit", try one of these Christmas treasures!

7 Comments:

Blogger Purring said...

I love the peppermint almond bark they sell at Williams Sonoma. It is soooo tasty and I'm glad they don't carry it year round.

11:41 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

We made lefse yesterday. Want me to send you some?

4:27 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Kari - ohhh... that sounds yummy also! I don't even know where a Williams Sonoma is around here - probably a good thing. :-P

TSHS - Lefse? I'm not sure what that is. Do you have a recipe you could share? ;-)

4:38 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

So glad you liked the treats. You said you like peppermint mocha, so i figured you'd like that too.

mmm, peppermint bark. there is a Williams Sonoma on Union Square up here in SF, and they also have it at Crate and Barrel. They carry it at Trader Joe's, but they were out of stock when I went there this weekend. there's probably a WS down in one of the malls by you as well. like the palo alto one.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tessence - Thanks again for the little treasures. Also, I'll have to check around here for a WS. There's a Trader Joe's up the street from us, but it's a pain to go to because the checkout lines are soooo slow. :-P

2:41 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I'll be making rum balls for the Christmas party at work. I posted the recipe on Vest's blog. Hold on, I'll go copy and paste it...

Okay, I'm back. here it is:

1 stick of butter
1 16 oz package of powdered sugar
1 box of baking chocolate
1 stick of paraffin wax
nuts of your choice (we used walnuts last time)
Rum

Take the nuts and soak them in rum overnight. Then melt the stick of butter and mix it really well with powdered sugar and the nuts. Roll them into balls and put them in the fridge overnight. On the third day, melt the wax and the chocolate in a double boiler. Dip the balls in the chocolate mix. You'd want to put two or three coats of chocolate on the balls.

Enjoy

7:36 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - That sounds wonderful - thank you for the recipe! I'll have to go visit Vest's site. :-)

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home