Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Stocking Was Hung by the Chimney with Care

Another thing that puts me in the Christmas spirit besides chocolate and sweets is making holiday crafts. K has never had a home-made stocking, so I decided it was about time he had one. It may not look like much, but this is the first quilted item I've made without a pattern or a kit. To give credit where credit is due, the nice salesperson at Eddie's Quilting Bee in Mountainview, CA helped me figure out the yardage to buy (but I picked out the fabric) and gave me some basic directions. I found a template on the Martha Stewart website for the basic shape and I had to refresh my memory on how to construct a basic 9-square, but it all went pretty well. The trickiest part was getting the lining correct. All in all, a pretty good ending for being a stocking-with-no-pattern virgin.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Hey, that's better than I could do. There's nothing like home made anything. Home made clothes are better, food, everything, as long as the person puts their heart into it.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - I really enjoyed making this and I was surprised at how easy it was. I've had the material sitting on my table for a few weeks - I was chicken to start it for fear of screwing it up. Also, it takes me a bit to see how it's going to look in my mind.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

VERY impressive

9:12 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tessence - Thanks! I'm making another one right now, but it's just a regular checker-board front. I don't like it as well, but H likes it better than the first. I guess I know what I'll be doing with my spare time this winter break. :-P

9:59 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Here's hoping that you two will be hanging your stockings together for MANY years to come!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - I hope so too - thanks! :-)

6:08 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - Thanks. I think my son will really like it. After tomorrow, I'm officially on winter break and will be able to sew even more. Yay! Glad to see you back in blog-land, btw. :-)

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home