Sunday, January 01, 2006

A Gentle Reminder


So I come back to my home from my visit to my family for the holidays and I return to this (pictured above - a view from my small patio). Gray skies, wind, occasional rain. All gentle reminders of why I don't live in the Seattle area anymore. It's funny because sometimes I get "homesick" for Seattle. I miss my friends a lot and it was easy to make the four hour drive to get back to Spokane. However, days like this were all too common, which made it almost impossible for me to leave the house without a scowl on my face. That's if I was able to work up enough enthusiasm to get out of the house in the first place. It's days like this that make me realize that I am not suited for a crappy (meaning mostly rainy and windy) climate.

I say that this is a gentle reminder because it's not nearly as cold or wet as what I'm used to. Although, I'm thanking my lucky stars that we don't live in Sonoma county right now. The worst I have to deal with here in San Jose is the realization that fixing my hair this morning was an exercise in futility because, once I step outside, my hair will look much like it did when I first woke up.

10 Comments:

Blogger Angelique said...

It's amazing how a beautiful day improves your outlook on life. Today in Austin it was 81 degrees and sunny. I like the winters here because they are mild but the summer sucks. This past summer we had 21 days that were over 100 degrees. That is way too hot. Enjoy the weather in California!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angelique - 81 sounds pretty nice right now. :-P

But yes, you're right. I like it in the high 70's to low 80's in summer. Just right...

8:12 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

well, it's just getting a late start this year. i know it's not as bad as Seattle -- and i just got a fresh reminder of what it's like in Wisconsin! -- but we *have* had years here where it rains every day for an entire month. And that'll get ya down, as you know.

I'm bumming today because I'm dying to get Nutmeg out of the house but our normal indoor activities, like library story hour, are closed due to the supposed holiday. Bah.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tessence - Today reminds me of Seattle - it just won't quit raining. I would take rain over snow, right now. I want to get out too, but I can't get motivated to. :-P

11:50 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I agree about the gloom. We've had 15 min of sun during the last 2 weeks, and it doesn't look any better for the coming week. :(
This is very unusual weather.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - That is weird for that area. Minneapolis reminds me of Spokane in that, at least if it's cold in the winter, you still see sun. I know you're not directly in Minneapolis, but close enough. :-P

5:20 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

That's the whole problem; the sun shines when it gets cold and we haven't had any cold weather. I shouldn't complain about this with the price of heating fuels.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Storm - Happy New Years to you, too! Glad to see you. :-)

TSHS - Yeah, that's one thing I can't complain about in CA - our heating bill is almost nothing. :-P

4:21 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I got caught in the flood in Sonoma County on the way up to Chico. The estuary flooded onto I-80 and I drove through it right before they closed it off. Then they closed off 505 and I had to detour there. Took me over five hours to get home.

As for Seattle, there are a few people and one restaurant I miss. Other than that, I'm so glad to be out of there. Not just the rain but the attitude. Everyone there was so !@#$%^&* miserable.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - I don't even miss the restaurants. Hard not to be miserable in a place like that. My dad has stayed there and loves it - go figure. :-)

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home