Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Too Much Power

So I go to Costco today to pick up digital prints I ordered from our visit to Disneyland. I am just a plain 'ole Goldstar Member, so on weekdays, I am not allowed into Costco before 11 a.m. Usually, when I show up a few minutes early, the customer service person at the front door lets me in. Today, I arrived at 10:57 and there was a huge line of people with their carts, presumably Goldstar members like myself, waiting to enter the store. Holding them back was a little Hispanic woman who was fastidiously checking her watch to be sure not to let us in to the store even a second or two early. So I watch in amusement as people have sour looks on their faces and the Costco lady's jaw juts even further out. A battle of wills. I am immediatly transported to the infamous airplane scene from "Meet the Parents" where Ben Stillar's character is the only one waiting in the terminal to board the plane, but because the ditzy attendant has not called his row, he must wait until she finally calls his row. The absence of logic and reasoning struck me as I waited to get into Costco, watching the growing throng of people block the entrance and exit to the place. So it makes more sense to let the entryway and exit get clogged with people rather than to let them in a minute or two early? Clearly, the Costco-Check-Your-Badge-At-The-Door people have way too much power.

11 Comments:

Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - No, we got through the line just fine at D-land. K is not one to take off, so he stayed with us the whole time.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Bert said...

I have also experienced the CostCo power trip. Not a pretty picture.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Bert - I'm one of the rare Costco customers who gets out of there in under $100 per trip. Yet, I always dread going there. The crowds and this kind of stuff happening is why I limit my visits. I'm glad it's not just me who's had a similar experience.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

You know what thought? The people who show up to Costco early are the same people who show up for rummage sales before they open. They're obsessive penny pinchers, and if you give 'em an inch, next time they'll want to get in at quarter to! (Sorry if I just lumped you in with the rummage-sale crashers, lol.) The only time I ever showed up early (it probably was about quarter to 11, because I didn't know about the rule yet) the guy just let me in, but that was probably because I had Nutmeg with me. You get away with all kinds of stuff when you've got a baby! Then again, you've got to put up with all kinds of stuff too.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Yeah, I never go to rummage sales, and I really just wanted my photos. :-P But I see your point - I have no idea how long the other people were waiting.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Purring said...

I guess they'd rather adhere to the clock and risk pissing a customer off.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Kari - Well, I wouldn't have questioned it as much if I hadn't been let in a few minutes early on several different occasions. Also, who's to say her watch was correct? :-P Does anybody really know what time it is?

1:50 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Wow, how annoying. Oh well, if the price is right I would go and put with the crowds and the door attendant on a power trip. I confess I have never been into a CostCo. Is it like a Sam's? I tried Sam's and it just annoyed me that I had to get so much of everything except the cat litter. I think I can go through 40 pounds of that stuff in a week.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angelique - I've never gone to Sam's, so I'm not sure. But Costco is a place you pay for a yearly membership and buy in bulk, except for specialty items. Most of the time it's okay - it pays to get things there like cereal, TP, and paper towels. Things that don't spoil, basically. I will just make sure I arrive from now on after the entry time and not a minute before. :-P

8:15 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

And you're paying a yearly fee for this kind of treatment?!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

I know - I'm crazy. :-/

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home