Sunday, September 24, 2006

My Papa

Today I got an email from my dad about this website, called Boot Liquor Radio, based in San Jose that plays very eclectic country music. He mentioned that he heard a song called "Down Mexico Way" by the Sons of the Pioneers. It brought him back to a time when he was a young boy and his father (my papa) was just getting home from work, the radio would be on playing Sons of the Pioneers and various other oldies, and he would soon be on Papa's lap, despite the fact that he probably just wanted to relax after a long day at work.

It surprised me to read this because I never thought of Papa as the "cuddly type" - in fact, he was quite the opposite. Even when my brother and I came along, he still had an edge to him, though he was somewhat softer with us than with his own children. I was looking through my old pictures and found a few with my Papa and me. They were surprisingly tender moments where he is either holding me or playing or joking with me. I remember, when I was very young, having a difficult time approaching him because he was a very quiet and very tall man. As I got older, he opened up more, and even taught me to play cribbage. He was cut-throat about it - I didn't get any slack just because I was his granddaughter. I can't remember a time when we visited our grandparents that he wasn't watching or playing golf, going square-dancing with grandma, or getting together with their gang (the S.O.B's). No matter what the setting, you could count on Papa to tell an off-color Norwegian joke that left some people scratching their heads.

Despite his gruff exterior, Papa would surprise me every so often. When I became pregnant at a rather young age, he was the only one in my family who wasn't upset with me. Instead, he jabbed me in the ribs with his elbow and, with a straight face, said "You know, Jen, you should never take something serious that was poked at you in fun", then winked at me. When I was in grad school, and Papa was sick, I would sometimes come over to the house to help out - sometimes just for company, or to shovel the driveway. He would get teary eyed, something I never thought I'd see from him, and would thank me for helping, even though I know he was upset that he couldn't do it himself.

Even though Papa was gruff and stoic, he still meant a great deal to me. It brought a tear to my eye to read my dad's email about his wanting to be close to his father. It made me think of my relationship with Papa, as well as the relationship with my own father. I'm glad things have changed a little - that it's okay for a father to be tender and say "I love you". It's what every kid needs from a father.

11 Comments:

Blogger Angelique said...

It sounds like you had some great times with your granddad. I didn't know my grandparents when I was growing up so I felt like I really missed out, sometimes. Your post reminded me that when I have kids I am going to make sure that they know their grandparents.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angelique - I spent a lot of time with both sets of my grandparents. I was very lucky. They couldn't have been more opposite from each other, but both loving in their own ways. :-)

4:51 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

Why is it I am drying my eyes, I am supposed to be a tough guy.
You are aware that I was never afforded those loving privileges, but I am happy for you nice person.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Aww Vest - Didn't mean to make you tear up. Even tough guys can shed a tear, though. :-) Like you, neither of my grandpas were shown much affection from their parents. I think it was just something that was pretty typical of the times - they were very rough. Sometimes, I also think it's in a family's makeup. Some families are just better about showing affection than others. I'm glad you have a lovely wife and kids. :-)

5:16 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Purring - Thanks for contacting me. :-) Looks great - love the new look!

3:32 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Interacting with extended family is one of the things missing in many family's lives today. You were blessed to be able to know both sets of your grandparents.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - My son is even more blessed that he knew and remembered his great-grandparents. I totally agree - extended family makes all the difference when raising kids.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

My grandma always explained it that we called him that so that my brother and I would not get confused about which grandpa was being referred to. But that makes no sense now because we called our grandmas "grandma" and just inserted their first name afterwards. But yeah, you don't really hear kids call adults that anymore. :-P

3:57 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - That's so young - I'm sorry you weren't able to have them around. :-(

6:01 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

No replacement for a grandpa!
I listened to some of Boot Liquor and it's awesome.

12:35 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

SME - Glad you liked it. I listened to a little bit of it. It's not what I'd normally choose to listen to, but I like branching out every now and then. :-)

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home