Saturday, November 25, 2006

How I Spent My Thanksgiving

I am finally home from my Thanksgiving weekend in San Diego. We went to visit H's family, which went pretty well. The parts that didn't go so well were the drive there and the drive back - both rounding on 9 hours. The only good thing was that H drove, and I got to look at sagebrush and knit.

We had a very good Thanksgiving dinner which was preceded by a drive to Oceanside to walk along the pier in the sun and watch the surfers. The only blemish on the day was that I really missed my family.

On Friday, we went to the Wild Animal Park in Escondido and the Meditation Garden in Encinitas. I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the Wild Animal Park (pictures below). We went on a 45 minute tram ride through the different parts of the park where I was able to get some good photos of elephants, giraffes, and rhinos. For those who are so inclined, you can book a truck tour to go right up to the animals and feed the giraffes or watch the cheetahs. Both of those had sold out, but I'd like to do one of those next time. After that, you can walk to the other exhibits like the lions and tigers, and also the bird sanctuary where you buy nectar so that the birds land on you. While no birds landed on me, they did leave me some gifts in my hair.

I'm rather proud of this picture - I just happened to catch him yawning.

A baby elephant with its mother - sooo cute!

This big fella was resting after chasing a younger gorilla that had taken his bananas.

Apparently, a giraffe's tongue is proportionate to his heighth - one inch per one foot!

This dad rhino was on "time out" for trying to impregnate a female rhino right after she had given birth to another offspring. Apparently the park is quite successful in breeding certain animals.

Bonsai tree in the garden of the Animal Park

Flowers and cactus in the Baja Garden in the Animal Park

Flower in the meditation garden in Encinitas

This picture does not do the meditation garden justice. First of all, it's on an elongated plot of land that is set high on a cliff overlooking the ocean. There are beautiful trees, flowers, shrubs, benches, and ponds with huge goldfish. The garden was very peaceful, even with as many visitors as were there. These are two places I'd recommend visiting if you're ever in the San Diego area.

9 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

We're HUGE fans of animal parks!
We don't just pass quickly through to glance at the animals. We like to take our time and observe all the different behaviors displayed by the animals. Quite entertaining and FUNNY!

LMAO at the horny hippo!

4:05 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Well, the things I really liked about the animal park is that they breed endangered animals for release back into the wild, but they don't release them when they're young (so that they just die to a predator anyway) and that they grow the vegetation to help support the feeding of their "guests". I think my favorite animals to watch were the lions and gorillas. They were so playful and funny. Unfortunately, on the tram tour, they only stop momentarily for pictures. When you walk around is the chance to really spend some time.

6:29 AM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Looks like a fun Thanksgiving! Much better than just gorging on turkey. I'd love to see a baby elephant - the elderly one at our zoo is only cute in a sad sort of way...

11:46 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

SME - There were lots of little babies at the park. There were some lion cubs who were very frisky and playful. They would attack their dad's paw, and he would bat at them for a few minutes, then saunter away.

6:08 AM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Aw! There's nothing funnier and cuter than babies, no matter what the species. ;D

10:11 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

SME - Totally agreed!

Kit - I don't think gorillas have it in their minds that "uh oh, I might get my head ripped off for this". Thanks - I love taking pictures.

5:20 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

We have a wild life sanctuary here in town and then a little zoo about twenty miles out but all nice. I love to go look and the girls love to see the birds and hear them chirp. We went to the Milwaukee Zoo about three years ago and that was awsome. Well nice meeting you and I have to go find something for dinner. Hubby should be home soon.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

tweety - I've only been to Wisconsin once, but it was just across the border from Minnesota. I would like to see more someday.

7:48 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Well when you are coming this way just let me know. Maybe we can meet in person sometime. Its a nice state I think. I grew up in Minnesota but I like it right here in WI.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home