Saturday, January 13, 2007

Christmas Tag

TSHS tagged me to do a Christmas me-me, which at least gets me writing (I've been in a slump lately).

Three things I got for Christmas: a very nice soft cotton bath towel set, a sushi and soup serving set with some funky and cool-looking chopsticks, and a personalized scrapbooked picture frame.

Three things I never want to get for Christmas: a subscription to the "x" of the month club (where "x" equals any kind of weird shit that people come up with), anything domestic like a vacuum or dish towels, and weird things like the clapper or a Chia pet.

Three people to tag: I think most people have done this, so anyone who'd like to can complete this.

The most fun gifts I received were actually from my students. One of my severely autistic students, I'll call him Tommy, got me a candy dish and home-made peppermint bark. When he saw me coming to get him for therapy, he insisted that I "OPEN IT, JEN, OPEN IT!!!", and helped me to unwrap his gift because I was taking too long. Another girl was so excited to get me something, she kept dropping hints and rubbing her hands together and saying "ooo-la-la". Another boy made me his own Christmas card, which is still hanging on my cork-board at work. So, I think my best gift was getting to see how excited my students get around Christmas-time, not just because they are getting gifts, but to give them also.

9 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

That's so sweet! Most of the teachers I know, gripe about all the stupid gifts they get from their students.
Isn't that a HUGE step forward for autistic kids to socially bond with you like that?

10:15 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I get more enjoyment out of giving a gift than getting them too. Homemade peppermint bark sounds yummy too!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very heartwarming read! HAPPY 2007 TO YOU!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - Actually, it is a huge step for them to care about connecting with someone like that. Most of my general ed kids (who maybe are just working on articulation) were more concerned with what they were going to receive for Christmas.

Laura - The bark was wonderful. I haven't kept track of the pounds I've gained. :-P

Michael - Long time, no see. Glad to see you stop in, and I hope your New Year is off to a good start!!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Funny -- bath towels are good but dish towels bad? I love domestic gifts, and I asked for and got a combo Cuisinart/blender, the Roomba, and a KitchenAid mixer. (I know -- I was really spoiled this year!) But hey, I'm a housewife now, so what do you expect?

6:02 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tessence - I know, I know. But, bath towels say to me "take a hot bubble bath and relax" and dish towels say to me "get off your butt and do dishes". I guess it might be different if I didn't work, but somehow I think I'd still feel the same. :-P

8:24 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

That sounds so sweet. I hope you are enjoying this whole thing. Sorry I havent stopped by for a week or so. I keep forgetting who I have met and who I havent. I havent gotten the hang of putting your blogs on the side bar yet like tshsmom or sme's. I have no clue how to do that. Well its nice to talk to you again. Keep up the good work with the kids. Hope they had a wonderful x-mas and you too for that matter. N.

6:05 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

That is very sweet, the kids being excited about their gifts to you. What an awesome time of year, no?

I'm with ya on X of the Month Club stuff. I'd hate to receive a cheese log every month! ;P

10:22 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tweety - Hope your holidays were wonderful as well. :-)

SME - I've never received an "x of the month" gift, but I remember Clark Griswold's reaction to the "Jelly of the Month" gift from his boss in "Christmas Vacation" and I could see myself being equally disappointed. :-P

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home