Sunday, November 13, 2005

Hodgepodge Sunday

Okay, we started out with good intentions of waking up early and driving to Monterey, but I don't think either of us were too zonked about the idea of spending what ends up to be approximately four hours in the car to see a place that is on the beach (which is a bit more difficult to enjoy in November). I remember a similar, if less lengthy, drive to Half Moon Bay a while back which was very disappointing. The most exciting thing we did on that drive was to eat at Round Table Pizza. I'm still trying to figure out why a co-worker recommended it to me.


Instead of driving all day, we decided to drive a short distance to Japantown in San Jose. The sign was the most interesting thing I saw there - it was a bit disappointing. There was a farmer's market that was quite small, and in the midst of it, I wondered aloud "is this it?!?" (perhaps a bit too loudly). By the way, I'm not sure what the design on the sign is, but it looks like a cartoon couch with a balloon opening at the bottom.


When all else fails and we don't know what to do, we figured we couldn't go wrong with wandering around MountainView. They too, were having their weekly farmer's market. Brother Jake was playing his music for the kiddos and he even had his little puppet to accompany him. Check out the cash in his guitar case - not too shabby!

This is the table at the outside diner where we had lunch - the Amarin (which is a good little Thai place). I'd recommend it for those who like Thai food, but be prepared to know what you want. The waitress was not about to give me too much time to decide and I felt stress similar to Elaine's in the Seinfeld episode with the Soup Nazi (although not quite that bad).

How many times have I been to MountainView and I've never seen this sign? Odd fellows? That could be anyone, really. A little digging on this website revealed that Odd Fellows in North America was founded in Baltimore, MD in 1819 by lads from the Odd Fellows in England in order to "improve and elevate the character of man". The three link fraternity stands for "friendship, love, and truth", which they extend to fellow men who follow the teachings of the Bible. It only took them until 1851 when the Rebekah degree was founded, to include women into their three link fraternity, which isn't too long to wait, I suppose. Who knew before 1851 that women could be a valuable asset in the perseverance in all that is good and true?

Yes, yes, a bit sarcastic and cranky for a hodgepodge Sunday - I must be coming down with a cold.

10 Comments:

Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - I'll have to look it up - what is on the sign. I know that Japantowns in other cities are also smaller (and cleaner) than the Chinatowns. I just was hoping to see more. :-)

9:18 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

You might have ended up in the by-the-highway part of Half Moon Bay instead of the downtown part, which is a cute little town. We went a couple years ago for the Pumpkin Festival, definitely the best time to go, with lots of little kids in costume and every imaginable food incorporating pumpkins for sale.

You guys should head north more! The Bay Area has so much more to offer up here -- hiking among the redwoods at Muir Woods and Mount Tamalpais; Sausalito; ferry ride to Angel Island for Asian American history and more hiking; fabulous Italian food in North Beach; Chinatown West in SF's Richmond District, countless bookstores, everything in Golden Gate Park which even we have not discovered yet, bonfires on Ocean Beach ... somebody stop me before I start talking East Bay!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

oh and of course SF Japantown, which is actually fun and not just a sign

9:29 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

At least they recognized women before our nat'l gov't did.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Storm - I would have never guessed "brain". :-P

Tessence - Well, we will be up in Berkely next weekend having fondue with a certain someone for her birthday. :-P

TSHS - Good point. ;-)

5:21 PM  
Blogger Justin Kreutzmann said...

You're doing the west coast tour...I know it well, I should, I live there, not always disappointing.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Justin - Naw, it would not be as disappointing if we just would be a little more brave. We were when we first moved here, but something happened. We both started work and really came to value rest on our weekends. :-P

8:00 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Justice - Well, it wasn't a long trip. Maybe we would have had more fun to just go someplace new, even if it was far away.

1:27 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

The waitress was not about to give me too much time to decide and I felt stress similar to Elaine's in the Seinfeld episode with the Soup Nazi

Heh. Yet another funny reference to the Soup Nazi. You know what made Seinfeld so funny is that it hit home so many times.

You and yours are coming with us to San Francisco come Spring, by the way.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - I wasn't a huge Seinfeld fan, but I did see some classic episodes. I loved the Soup Nazi one. :-P

When you and your family come to town, let me know - H and I will come to the big city. :-)

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home