Thursday, November 10, 2005

Jen's Weekly TV Lineup

There are only a few shows I really care about watching during the week, which is good because TV always has the potential of interrupting more important activities like playing Nintendogs or sitting on my bum surfing blogs. I wouldn't normally post about something so mundane, but it's my Friday (because I have Veteran's Day off) and I'm brain dead. Also, I think a person's TV viewing habits say something about them. For instance, my lineup shows that I am a person who needs to laugh, does not require putting much thought into a program (I put way too much thought into the rest of my day), but wants a little suspense and action.

One show that I watch religiously is "My Name is Earl". I didn't expect to like this show at all, in fact if I were left to my own devices, I wouldn't have watched it at all. However, I love how lighthearted it is and that the message is generally positive in nature. Also, I do believe in Karma, which helps me deal with the assholes of the world without short-circuiting. The main character, Earl (played by Jason Lee), is a likeable sort and he is kinda cute in his own way. He had a string of happenings in his life that weren't so great and finally came to the conclusion that bad things happened to him because he did bad things. Each show features an item or two on Earl's list (the list details all the bad things Earl has done in his life) and his attempt to "cross them off" by setting things straight. All of this is done in a humorous, if yet simplistic 30 minute time span, which is perfect on a Tuesday night when my week is just getting rollin'.

Another show I can't miss is "Lost" - I love the drama and the fact that the characters are complex and intertwined. It is a well-rounded show with enough action, humor, and drama to keep my eyes glued to the screen. I like learning about the characters and seeing the background as to why they are the way they are. Everyone on this earth at this point in time behaves the way they do because of a certain set of circumstances that each person calls "life". For those of you who don't know, "Lost" is a story of people who are stranded on a rather mysterious island after a plane wreck. There are "others" who seem to have been on the island for some time before anyone else got there, there is a hatch (which I believe is just a huge social experiment and I would refuse to participate in the button pushing, even if the island did explode as a result), and there are wild animals and adventures to be had by all. What more can I say?

New to my list this year is "Invasion", which deals with peculiar happenings in a small Florida community following a recent hurricane. Something is in their water that's doing weird things to the locals and it's bigger and uglier than toxic waste. This show is good because it's suspensful enough for me and because I really am interested in the idea of extraterrestrials. We'll see how this all plays out....

Lastly, I've been a loyal watcher of "24" and even though I cannot remember the specific threat to the United States from one season to the next, I love watching Kiefer Sutherland (even though his voice is a little bit nasally) beat the crap out of the bad guys and, in the end, save the US from certain disaster (yes, I get out my aggressions vicariously). I am eagerly awaiting season 5 to see what twists and turns that FOX can throw into each episode. I like that the style and time of the show is unique - it's the only one out there where one 1 hour episode is an hour in the story - that seems like it would be difficult to orchestrate, and I respect that.

So what do your TV viewing habits say about you?

4 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Nothing. Wish I had more time because everyone says 24 is da bomb. I try to catch the part of that show when Donald Trump fires people. And of course, I watch the Packers religiously, despite their 1-7 record. I still have faith that this season could be made respectable. :p

12:12 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - I really have enjoyed "24", but I'm worried about season 5 because it seems like actors get complacent when they get close to syndication and sometimes the shows can go downhill at that point. We'll see what happens...

7:22 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I gorge on tv on Sunday nights to make up for a week of abstinence when I'm too busy and too uniimpressed with the offerings. "Desperate Housewives," then my favorite this year: "Grey's Anatomy." I might start watching "The West Wing" again now that Alan Alda's on it.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

I've heard Desperate Housewives is pretty good. I never have seen West Wing and I've only seen a couple of Grey's Anatomy.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home