Sunday, November 06, 2005

Movie Review: American Movie

American Movie has been out for some time, and for some reason, I have not seen it until last night. At H's prompting, I reluctantly watched it, although I was not quite sure I would like it. I was not sorry I saw it - it was well worth my time.

This movie is a documentary, of sorts, about a going-nowhere guy from Milwaukee in his late 20's/early 30's who has been interested in filming movies since he was a young kid. American Movie documents kind of a "day in the life" of the struggles Mark Borchardt went through in order to pursue his dream.

Even though this was filmed in Milwaukee, WI, it might as well have been made in my hometown of Spokane, WA. There are a few similarities between the two places - like mobile home parks not very far removed from well-off neighborhoods and the "midwest family values". As far as the people in the movie, I guess Mr. Borchardt and his family can be viewed as lower-middle class with the trials and tribulations that go along with their walk of life. A few things struck me about the film - that people who have never struggled in life for anything might see this as amusing. Kind of a "point and stare" and "shake your head" attitude. Even though, growing up, I did not want for much, we definitely were middle class. I had plenty of friends and acquaintances who personify what this movie described as "The American Dream" - the idea of the "have nots" wanting more out of life, but just not having the means available to achieve. I'm amazed at the film-maker's tenacity and ability to get people to believe in him, even though many people are half-hearted in their attempts to support Mr. Borchardt. I love the scene where he describes being called to the bathroom to clean up shit (literally) that was all over the stalls in the cemetary he worked at - a profound moment. A moment in which he realized he was approaching 30 and didn't want this to be the end all and be all of his life - cleaning up others' shit.

I think that that sort of epiphany is what some people are missing in their lives. Maybe they don't have the focus to take a chance, work hard, keep on trying (even when they get knocked down), and see something through to the end because they've never had life's little challenges that force them to learn to rise to the occasion. Yet, it's very easy for them to look down their noses at these struggling Americans and scoff.

I highly recommend this movie for its "reality check" feel - I would give it an "8" out of "10".

5 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

I've never heard of this one, but it sounds interesting. I'll have to check out the video store.
Hopefully the people that need the reality check will watch this movie. Too bad everybody can't get their share of "cleaning up the shit"!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - It's not a bad thing - kind of puts things in perspective. ;-)

6:57 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I love that movie! But come on, that guy was pretty funny, in a pathetic way, right? Not for being poor. For being how he was. Maybe you have to be from Wisconsin. Oh, oh, and his friend was so funny, the stoner guy.

12:57 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tessence - Well, he was funny, yes, but I just sat there shaking my head at some stuff. Come on - 30 and living with parents? And with his own kids whom he cannot support? Maybe I was in a funk that night also. I cried at the part he was helping his uncle take a bath - it was so easy to see his uncle's decline through the movie and watch how others reacted to him. I'm sensitive to that stuff - I've had four of my grandparents pass away slowly along with my ex-father-in-law (he was only mid-40's). I thought the stoner guy was sad - I wanted to show that movie to my son along with a disclaimer like "see, this is what will happen to you if you drop acid and drink heavily!". Okay.../rant off. :-P

12:28 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

oh, i agree, funny AND sad.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home