Tuesday, December 06, 2005

If It Feels Good, Do It

I'm not talking about drugs or alcohol, but exercise. I think I'm being sent a message and I get it, loud and clear. It's like a voice is yelling at me "Get off your butt and do something active!". The messages come in different forms. Yesterday, a fellow blogger posted about the evils of the Atkins diet (which I totally agree with, since I went on it with disastrous results). Another message has come in the form of my health woes of late and the fact that when I talk to my 80 year-old grandma, she seems more active than me. Those two were just warming me up for today. A parent who was dropping his children off at school (he had walked them there), felt faint outside of the school (his kids had gone inside) and suffered from a heart attack right on the spot. He passed away a few hours later at the hospital. I didn't know this man, but those who did were very upset and we had our psychologist there for students and/or staff who needed counseling. I don't know why his death struck me like it did, but I started to think about the amount of time I sit of my butt versus the time I spend actually doing something. At work, my job is pretty sedentary - I get up and walk to classrooms to get kids, but beyond that, I'm sitting. At home, I am tired from work, so I sit more. Then I thought about my family history - both parents have had heart attacks before age of 60 (both were mild, but still...), and my grandfather on my mom's side (mom's dad) passed away from a heart attack at age 49. On my dad's side, the history is a bit sketchy, but I know heart disease runs in that side as well. All of that was enough to make me want to go hole up at home, but instead, I started thinking about when I was the healthiest of my life and how I reacted to events of the day. I didn't go home - I went out walking. Anytime I was stressed from grad school or I needed a "time-out", I exercised. So what did I do today after work? I went to the gym and spent a good hour on a cardio workout. Because of my recent condition, I cannot lift weights, but at least I'm doing something constructive. You know what else? It felt good. So, since it feels good and might prevent me from dying of heart disease, I need to make a habit of exercise and just "do it".

10 Comments:

Blogger Angelique said...

Notta, good for you for getting out there and exercising. I am also trying to be more active but it is so hard to keep myself motivated. I was hoping since my sister moved back in town that she could help motivate me move but instead she has adopted my sedentary habits. The next thing that I want to try besides more dancing is maybe horse back riding again. It's been years since I was on top of a horse.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angel - Plenty of horses in Texas. :-P I haven't gone horseback riding since I was in high school.

6:34 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Exercise also gets more oxygen to your brain, which helps you think more clearly. Z is finally catching onto this little trick.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - Yes, and, when I get the clearance, I can do weights, which increases bone mass. :-P I find that I'm much more open to exercise when it's linked to health benefits versus physical benefits (to look better).

4:57 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Me too!

7:19 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Good for you. I'm glad you're hitting the gym.

One thing that bugs me is that people often say to me "you're lucky you're thin." It's not luck.

1) I don't overeat,
2) If I have to make a short trip to somewhere, I walk instead of drive,
3) I never take the elevator,
4) I play sports with my kid, including being an assistant coach on his team,

etc.

What I'm getting at is exercise makes a huge difference.

I used to work at a health club whose motto was "diets don't work, exercise does." I love that.

Thanks for the shout out by the way.

9:41 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Tshsmom - Exercise also gets more oxygen to your brain, which helps you think more clearly.

Very good point.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Purring said...

Thanks for the wake up call. This is a great post.

8:45 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Yeah, ZS; we're studying anatomy right now, so I'm a walking encyclopedia on the human body. ;)

2:42 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - I've always had to work at maintaining an ideal weight. I know some people who are naturally thin without exercising, but they can also be ticking time bombs ( as far as heart conditions go).

Kari - NP - if you're like me, sometimes I need to be hit in the head with things repeatedly before I say "Oh, I get it!". :-P

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home