Monday, December 05, 2005

An Early Christmas

So now that I'm an old fuddy-duddy, I don't really need to be surprised at Christmas anymore. No, I'm not a scrooge, but it's just that Christmas has taken on a different meaning for me since I've moved away from my hometown. I don't get excited at getting presents, although I enjoy giving them if I know the person well enough to buy something for them that I know they would like without asking for a list. I hate lists - why must I make a list to tell someone what to buy me. Even worse, why am I buying for a person who feels the need to give me a list? One side of my family draws names - each person only buys for one other person (not including kids) and spends approximately $50. That's nice and all, but if I have to tell someone what I want, I might as well go buy it myself and save everyone the hassle. On my mom's side of the family, I can buy people things without needing lists. That's how it should be. Whatever happened to spontenaeity? Okay, I've fallen somewhere in the middle of spontaneous and ho-hum. H and I decided to give each other our Christmas presents early, but at least we trusted our instincts. So, this holiday season, courtesy of H, I am now able to listen to my iPod in my car because I now have a car stereo that supports it. Now, I don't have to go through the torture of listening to the radio DJ's flap their gums while I'm stuck in the car on my way to and home again from work. I can plug my iPod in and listen to any mix I want to to help tune out the world around my car.

Here is my first playlist for the drive tomorrow:

Hand in My Pocket - Alanis Morrisette, Eight Days a Week - Beatles, Hysteria - Def Leppard, Listen to the Music - Doobie Brothers, Hotel California - Eagles, Hound Dog - Elvis, Over My Head - Fleetwood Mac, I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor, Lightning Crashes - Live, What's Going On? - Marvin Gaye, Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen, Mrs. Robinson - Simon & Garfunkle, Give A Little Bit - Supertramp, The Promise - When In Rome, and Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison.

4 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

NICE mix of music! We have a very common taste in music.

I'm the same way with Christmas gifts. I LOVE finding just the right gift for everyone, but I could care less about receiving gifts. That must be a sign of growing up. ;)
L always wants me to give him a list. I keep telling him that he knows me better than anyone and my fav gifts from him have been the thoughtful gifts he comes up with by himself. For me, it's ALWAYS the thought that counts!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - I love my music mix - it made my drive to work bearable. Like you, I hate making lists. If someone knows me well enough, they know what I'd like. :-P

4:59 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Cool, we have a few tunes in common -

Hysteria - Def Leppard, Hotel California - Eagles, I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
(just don't tell anyone I secretly like this song) Lightning Crashes - Live, Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen, Mrs. Robinson - Simon & Garfunkle, and Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison.

Played "Hotel California" on the bass once for a cover song. And of course sang it many times with friends while drinking. I love Queen. I really miss Freddie Mercury and am still bummed he died. Used to do "Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkle as a cover as well (on the guitar).

9:49 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - I won't tell a soul. :-P I think Freddie had great vocals - I have only seen old videos of him, but what a great performer! Also, how can anyone not like "I Will Survive"!?! ;-)

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home