Friday, December 09, 2005

Life's Lessons


I'm always so caught up in what I can teach the kids I work with, but this week, for whatever reason, I've been struck by how much they teach me. While I'm busy teaching them such important things like "only one person should be talking at a time", they have been hard at work trying to show me what's really important. Here are some of the things that my kids teach me on a daily basis:

  • you should give and get hugs every day - the more, the better
  • when you're happy, smile big - with all your teeth showing
  • it's okay to cry when you're sad or angry
  • honesty is the best policy
  • jumping in puddles is fun
  • why not have fun every day
  • you feel better after you throw a fit
  • if I don't ask for something, I won't get it
  • people like to be told they're doing a good job, even if it's not perfect
  • life is too boring if you're sitting still - being "on the move" is much better

Happy Friday!

6 Comments:

Blogger Angelique said...

Children appreciate things in the moment and I wish that I still had that trait. Now, I overthink everything that it sucks the joy out of moments that should be appreciated. Thank you for reminding me to appreciate every moment wholeheartedly.

2:01 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

"life is too boring if you're sitting still - being "on the move" is much better"
I need to have this one tatooed on my forehead. Z is a kinetic learner and L and I often have to curb our impulse to tell him to sit down and study!

It saddens me that PC prevents school employees from dispensing hugs. My cousin is a playground supervisor and has MANY kids that come to her for hugs EVERY DAY! School policy forbids this behavior, but she says: "Let them fire me. A LOT of these kids would NEVER get a hug if it wasn't for me!"
I always feel better after I throw a fit. My family tends to hold things in, and they all have the stomach problems to prove it. Their motto is:"Mom will NEVER have an ulcer!" ;)

4:54 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angel - That's what I like best about kids - they are happy with the simple things. At what age do kids lose that? I'm not really sure...

TSHS - It took me a while to learn that it was okay for kids to move around and still do therapy. I don't make them sit anymore - some of them do worse if I insist that they sit. PC or no, I give hugs. Granted, they are side hugs, but still. :-)

7:44 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

GOOD FOR YOU!

5:42 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

people like to be told they're doing a good job, even if it's not perfect

I really like this one.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - This is a lesson that I learned when I was testing one kid and he responded very well to verbal praise. I give verbal praise at pretty regular intervals and, I must have been "late", because he asked me "Aren't you going to tell me I'm doing good?". It was a good reminder to let him know just that. ;-)

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home