Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Coming Up For Air

After what seems like an eternity of one day melting into the other with diaper changes, nursing, spitting up, cleaning up, burping, and playing with the baby, I've come up for a deep breath of air. Jellybean is 8 weeks old now and, either he's becoming more predictable and following somewhat of a routine, or I'm adapting to him. Probably a little of both. His initial disposition does not seem to be changing much. He's a very easy baby, except at dinner time. At least when he does fuss, he is calmed by us holding him under the bright kitchen lights (he loves to tilt his head back and look up at them) and running a slow stream of water in the kitchen sink. During the day, he has been listening to the music his Auntie Alice bought for him. His favorite is "Free to Be You and Me". While I play him the music, I hook my hands underneath his armpits so he can practice standing, which he loves to do. He has recently started to say things like "gahhh" and "aaahhh". If I talk to him in a funny voice and kiss his cheek near his ear, I am usually rewarded with a big toothless grin. The other day, I was lamenting the fact that Jellybean had simultaneously spit up AND filled his diaper, and his response was a small laugh. I think this is a sign of things to come.

This is my third week after returning back to work for the school district. I'm working one day per week until February, at which point I'll increase to two days. It's nice to have the flexibility to work part-time. I don't want to be away from Jellybean for more than that. It's hard enough to have him start daycare in March even two days per week. Luckily, I have family support until then. I thought it would be harder to return to work, but I'm finding myself looking forward to one day a week when I'm not just a pair of breasts. Also, the teachers are so excited to have me back, and the kids I work with have asked how Alex is doing and have a renewed energy for speech therapy sessions. On the private business front, I've gotten some calls, but nothing that's panned out for certain yet. One man wanted us to prescribe drugs for his ADD. Another woman wants speech therapy for her son, but doesn't want to pay for it. Two other women are checking around first before starting therapy for their children. At least the advertising is working - I'm glad that's not been a waste of money. What I'm hoping is that by summer time, the school job will be winding down, and by that time I should have more clients through my private practice. If not, I can always go back to contracting with the birth-3 population.

As I'm sitting here, I'm amazed at being able to even write a blog entry. Jellybean is sleeping quietly in his bassinet, and I've managed to eat breakfast, have some decaf coffee, get myself showered, and start a load of laundry. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come!

12 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

I remember those days. I actually miss those days but no more for me. Glad to hear you are looking forward to going back to work. I know how hard it is to leave them. I will do a post later maybe today about the last two babysitters Jeff and i had...

8:16 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Congratulations. It's a great feeling when you're able to raise up your head and look around your new landscape.

By the way, do you have a sling? It always helped me get so much more done with an infant around -- if the baby likes it.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tweety - I do enjoy these days. I know Jellybean won't be cuddly forever. They grow out of that phase too fast.

Carrie - I have a sling, but he hates it. He doesn't want to be on his back. Luckily, friends of ours lent us a front carrier that keeps him upright, and he really likes it. I can get a little bit done around here and I can run errands for a bit longer when I have him in it. Now that he has more head control, I can face him out so he can see the world.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Kori said...

You're past that six week mark and the tide is turning---hurray! I'm excited for you that you have some time at work, too---the monotony of the day is what made me nuts when EJ was little, even though I couldn't imagine being away form her.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Kori - Just so I don't go insane and I keep track of the day, we try to get out on most days, even for a little while. It will be easier once the weekend is over and the weather gets nicer. I hate taking him out in the rain. He's already had his first illness.

8:50 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

You're lucky you can ease back into work! My breast pump and I had to return to work, full-time, when Z was 6 weeks old. :(

On the bright side, I think the earlier we go back to work, the less separation anxiety there is for both mother and child. SME was 2 when I returned to work, and that was a horrific adjustment.

I'm happy to hear that Jellybean likes the front carrier. Z HATED it. He preferred viewing my activities from his infant seat, or my shoulder. Not quite as convenient, but whatever works.

7:49 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

both my girls loved there swings and the infant seat. Actually Bri liked her Boppy pillow her aunt gave to her. Kora didnt have one as they were to expensive for they were just coming out when we had Kora. But anyway I e-mailed you this morning with a question but get to it when you have a minute of fresh air. No hurry.

8:55 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Good luck with the new business. That's classic, the lady who wanted speech therapy and didn't want to pay for it. That's fine if it's through a school or something so at least the school is paying you. Some people just don't get it.

As for Jellybean, you're probably just getting more used to the routine again. Hope he's letting you sleep.

1:17 PM  
Blogger begins with v said...

My son JUST started sleeping through the night...and he's 8 months old now!!! The lack of sleep is the most difficult part of being a mommy. Jellybean is just precious! Congrats and good luck!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - I can't imagine working full-time right now. It takes me so much time just to get prepared for working one or two days. We met with Jellybean's babysitter yesterday and got him all set up. She mentioned the same thing - that it's easier if they can get used to being away from mom at an early age as opposed to later.

Tweety - I wish the little guy liked the swing. So far, no dice.

ZS - Sleep is getting slowly better. It seems like each week gets a little bit easier.

Slade - Thanks! I agree with you. I fantasize about the day when I might get a full night of sleep. :-P

7:33 AM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Sounds like you're both settling into some routine that works for you both! I hope your work becomes more settled with time, too...no people expecting pro bono work.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

SME - Things will settle down. I can't afford to do pro-bono, which is fine. I don't think I should set that precedent, especially since other SLP's in the area don't. It would be bad to undercut.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home