Friday, December 02, 2005

The Depths of Hell

This is where my body's been sent to. I remember feeling like I was "falling apart" only one other time in my life - when I was 18 and was sick for about 5 months with mono. It's not that I have anything that horrible or painful, but it's just the amount of things. My hair breaks off at the ends now, my fingernails look weird sometimes, my heels are dry, I think I'm getting wrinkles, and to top it all off, now I have this lovely thing called costochondritis. I have been having pain in my chest right below my sternum and now get to take old people medicine - anti-inflammatories. Yes, yes, it helps because now I can actually blow my nose or cough without thinking my chest is going to implode. An added benefit is that I can now lay on my side without my chest hurting (I couldn't before). That's all nice and dandy, but the damn anti-inflammatories make me tired, make it so my stomach feels like it's doing flip flops and flop flips, and they make me burp (a very embarrassing thing for a delicate flower such as myself). Now I'm starting to realize that my grandmas were right - it's hell to get old!

9 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

I don't want to brag, but I didn't start falling apart until I hit 35.
My back went out on my 35th birthday. I wound up in traction, in the hospital for 3 days. Two months later, I had to get my first pair of glasses.
MY Grandma always said that getting old beats the alternative. ;)

5:32 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Well, that's true. I told the doc the other day that I was "falling apart" and he just laughed and said that's a bit melodramatic. Thank goodness I've never had back problems, but when I get weird things like this, it makes me worry a little. :-P

5:49 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Dadog - I must confess, I got a little worked up because heart disease runs in both sides of my family. Also, I've been around second hand smoke most of my life and my grandma passed away last March from cancer. You can imagine what was going through my head. :-P

7:01 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

My wife was falling apart in her mid-20s. I got her eating right, exercizing, seeing a chiropractor, and doing yoga, so she's coming back together now. Still has arthritis though and the days before she sees the chiropractor, she's not fun to be around.

I'm in my mid-30s now and in great shape. Haven't started falling apart yet, knock on wood.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - I just started back to exercising. In my mid twenties, I was in grad school and I exercised regularly and was in the best shape of my life (even after I had a child). I eat pretty healthy now, but I still have my occasional snacks. I haven't tried yoga yet - although it would not be a bad idea just for stress relief alone. I can sympathize with your wife - there are certain times I'm a bear to be around. :-P

1:10 PM  
Blogger agirloutthere said...

Sorry to hear about your health, NW Flower.

I've been doing some yoga lately. It's great! I wish I could do it everyday, but I want to go to a class with an experienced instructer for awhile longer, so I don't injur myself.

Hope things start to turn around for ya'!

10:35 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Agirl - I'm already feeling better due to the wonder of medicine. :-P Yoga is a good idea though. :-)

12:23 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Notta - Yoga is a tremendous stress relief. I can't say enough good stuff about Yoga. It's good for stress. it's wonderful for your body.

Just go inside a Yoga studio. You will notice that practically everyone in there has good bodies. The longer the people have been doing it, the better their bodies look.

Also notice that the people are low key who do it. That's because of the huge stress relief.

My wife's Yoga instructor has a daughter who is close to my wife's age (33), and she's still hot (her Yoga teacher). She's also a pleasure to be around. She and her hubby came to one of our bar-be-ques once and brought with them an aire of refreshment.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - I noticed that about people who do yoga. Do they make yoga for clutzes such as myself? :-P

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home