Sunday, November 20, 2005

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I cannot say that the fourth Harry Potter movie didn't live up to my expectations because I didn't know what to expect going in. Either that or I had very low expectations - I haven't decided which applies yet. In the movie's defense, I came in unprepared - I had seen the first two Harry Potter movies, but not the third one. Maybe if I had seen the Prisoner of Azkaban, I would have been slightly less confused about the string of events in the current movie. The premise behind this installment was that there is a Goblet of Fire in which participants (not just from Hogwarts, but from other schools of magic as well) cast their names if they would like to compete in the "Ultimate Magical Championship" (UMC, for short). That's not the real name, but that's what I'm calling it. Unfortunately, you have to be at least 17 to enter, so poor Harry Potter would not be eligibile to compete this time around. Yet, his name gets cast in the goblet and he is picked along with three other of his peers for the UMC - yes, even with my lack of understanding, I saw this coming. In the meantime, Harry keeps having these funky nightmares about Voldemort and a big huge snake and an old house and two young bucks who are there to do the dark lord's bidding. In the middle of it all, there is a huge dance where there is considerable pressure for everyone to have a date and they all get gussied up and have a smashing time at the gala, except for Harry and the red haired kid and their two dates. In the end, Harry wins the competition and Professor Moody is exposed for the fraud he is (who actually set up Harry to win all the competitions in the hopes that in the end, Harry would let his guard down and allow the fraud to kill him). Of course, grey bearded man who runs Hogwarts comes to Harry's rescue just in time. The End.

If that seems a bit convoluted, jumbled, and just plain confusing (not to mention a waste of money) then I've successfully conveyed the whole feeling of this movie. I will be gracious to Harry Potter fans and give it five dancing feet (out of 10).

6 Comments:

Blogger Richard Dun and Mario Dun said...

yeah, your not the only one. This movie was horrible. But Newell, the director, was great though. The scenes were wonderfully crafted. Funny was funny. Tense was tense. Danger was Danger.

Of course, it meant nothing since stuff/solutions/mysteries seem to resolver itself by magic. When i say magic, I mean sloth.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I was wondering if I was just missing something. I do agree, it had its funny moments and it did actually make me jump a little once or twice. :-)

6:40 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Haven't seen it yet, but do yourself a favor and rent 3. The guy who did Y Tu Mama Tambien (I don't know how to make accent marks) directed HP3 and did a wonderful job, much better than 1 and 2.

Too bad 4 wasn't up to par. It was a wonderful book. Loved book 4 and 5 best in the series.

I'm going to see it regardless and I'll post a review afterwards.

Thanks for yours.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - I'll be interested to see your thoughts about the fourth movie. I actually have #3 at home - just need to see it. :-) I've read none of the books, but I think I should. Enough of the kids I work with have read them and I like to be able to surprise them with my knowledge of cool things. :-P

10:18 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Notta - Enough of the kids I work with have read them and I like to be able to surprise them with my knowledge of cool things. :-P

With me, it's music. Teens get a pleasant surprise when they talk about their music and I've seen them live. But yes, HP is a great way for us adults to connect with the younger folks.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - That and knowing a few video games. Kids think it's so funny that I have a DS. :-P

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home