Monday, November 21, 2005

The Holy Grail



I have recently finished reading "Angels and Demons" and have now moved on to "The Da Vinci Code". Similarly to "Angels and Demons", this second installment has my mind filled with all sorts of things I never knew before - they are all swirling around inside my head. As I keep reading, what I keep thinking is that I'm not surprised the church would hate this book. First of all, it mentions that the Holy Grail is not a chalice, as some people thought, but refers to Mary Magdalene's role in Christ's life. Secondly, it points to the fact that Mary was not a whore (as most people have been led to believe), but is actually Jesus' companion and that she became pregnant with Jesus' child before he was crucified. The whole reason that there was a fundamental shift in views of women (Mary included) was because Constantine realized that Christianity was spreading so quickly and that there would have to be some sort of compromise between the values that were in place before the rise of Christianity (which was Paganism), and the Christianity we know today.

I'm not writing this blog to argue what really did or did not happen, but to express my fascination with the fact that this is the first time that Paganism has been presented not as the worship of "dark" or the "devil" or "satanic", but actually just refers to a group of people who were non-Christian (but who followed the "earth-centered" path). This view simply is grounded in the belief of the "goddess" and the role of women in the world (which was more positive until Christian views were adopted). Even though I was raised Christian (although not in a church), I am also a feminist at heart. The idea of women being revered as the givers of life (and not evil temptress fruit-peddlers) has certain appeal to me. One point that was brought up in the book, and is very true, is that history (including the Bible) was written by the "winners". The Bible did not fall down to the earth from the sky from God's pen - it was written by man. It's the exact same premise that other books are written from, like "People's History of The United States" - it tries to drive home the fact that real events (unlike history) are multi-dimensional and not as black and white as a conqueror would have you believe. I like when the grays are accentuated - it makes for a much more interesting, humane, and believable story.

10 Comments:

Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Yes.... well. What can I say to that? Modern women are pretty good at reviling men. It seems that neither side can win....

7:13 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

The goddess theory has been around since the dawn of any religion. For example, Astarte, Isis, Virgin Mary, etc. I would love to have read the real bible a couple of centuries ago. I am sure a lot has been edited and changed by the male church leaders since it's initial writing. Plus, the church has a history of absorbing local customs and holidays to incorporate their religion in the local population. That's where Easter, Halloween and Christmas came from. I don't mean to sound like I am dogging religion but I think it's a buyer's market for salvation, there are so many religions to choose from.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angelique - No, I see where you're coming from. I was somewhat disappointed to learn that our holidays were "voted upon".

Storm - I haven't found a set of books lately that have kept my attention like these two. :-)

6:43 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

We all know that Jesus didn't revile women or children. Too bad his apostles didn't all follow his teachings in this regard.

According to my research, Mary was Jesus' "most favored" disciple. The infant church chose to disregard this fact. We ALL lost so much information through the Church's editing!

5:51 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Notta - The early Christian church worshipped Mary. I really wish I knew my religious history better, so I could tell you when it went quasi-misogynistic.

As far as Jesus, he was both pro-women and pro-men. He was pro-human, the way it should be.

Haven't read either of those books. A friend of mine lent me both of them but at the time, I was editing my wife's novel, so never got around to reading them.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Purring said...

I've read both. Very thought provoking.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - There is a lot of information that I want to look up that I have seen referenced in this book. I simply had no idea about a lot of it.

ZS - You should read them. Knowing that you are a history major, you'd be interested to know that the author has done his homework and has quite a bit of factual material in both books.

Kari - Agreed. :-)

10:16 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Notta, check out the educational channels too. They've had a LOT of great programs on this subject, especially on the apocrypha. They rerun a lot of them around Christmas and Easter.

4:00 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - Thank you for the tip. I'm much more likely to watch a show than to read up on it. :-P

10:40 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I'll let you know if I see ads for any of the shows I watched.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home