Friday, March 10, 2006

Breathe In Energy...Breathe Out Love

That was the only thing that almost made me gag and roll my eyes at my very first yoga class last night. Other than that, it went swimmingly. I actually could do some of the poses - I'm best at "the corpse". In this pose, you lay on your back with your feet slightly spread apart and let your toes relax, with your arms at your sides (but slightly away from your body), and your palms up. You close your eyes and try to make sure the negative energy leaves your body through your fingertips and your toes. It was hard for me to do this because I was busy listening to the guy next to me snore.

I have learned some very important lessons from my first class. The most important lesson is that you definitely want to be in the back of the class. This is because, about halfway through stretching, the instructor had us do a "modified dog", where your back is straight and parallel with the ground and your "sit bones" are stretched as far in the air as you can and hands are balanced on the seat of a chair. In this position, if anyone is behind you and looking up, they have a nice shot of your butt. Now, you're supposed to keep looking at the floor, but that got me a little bit light-headed, so every now and then, I looked up. This brings me to the second thing I learned last night, which is "don't look up". If you do this, and you're in the back row, you get to see everyone else's butts because you are surrounded by them.

All joking aside, it really was a good class. The instructor actually gave directions that made sense, came around to make sure that people were doing the poses correctly, and I did not feel awkward because she was good at suggesting modified poses (for us less than graceful souls). Today, I am sore, but in a good way - not in a "it hurts me to walk" way. And maybe, in time, I will learn to "breathe in energy... and breathe out love".

14 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

LOL!!
Notta, you're a true skeptic. I wish we had yoga classes here. I think they would do Z a world of good. I KNOW he would have the same problems you did though.*giggling*

5:36 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

I do have to say, I went in there in the most sour mood and came out relaxed. But yeah, parts of it are a little too "lovey" for me. :-P

5:41 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Kitkat - That was one of the first things the instructor said - "accept your body for where it is right now" and "don't push it too far". I felt very okay with the fact that I was doing modified poses, but that I had something to work towards. If I'm going to stick with anything, I need that atmosphere.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - I wish I could have seen that one. I thought I would not be able to do the poses at all, but I have some hope yet. :-P

6:51 PM  
Blogger C said...

Oh, I do love the corpse pose, LOL! Down dog drives dh nuts to watch. *snicker* A bunch of yoga positions do, uh, come in handy. :oP I'm cracking up over the Will Ferell thing cuz I never saw that. *snort*

8:13 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Candace - Thanks for visting! Yeah, I'm sorry I missed that SNL, but maybe I can look it up to download on iTunes. I'm sure the yoga poses can come in handy for a person... ;-)

9:24 PM  
Blogger Faltenin said...

Breathe out Love... isn't this what we already do during a kiss???

6:03 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Faltening - Ideally yes, although I sometimes breathe out coffee or onions or garlic. :-P

7:13 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

tshsmom: You can get a yoga dvd for Z to do at home. The one I have is pretty good, and fairly easy, called AM/PM Yoga.

Notta: I used to go through relaxation therapy and she used to say the same kind of stuff (Breathe in relaxation, breathe out stress). Funny thing is, when I got to the point where I stopped rolling my eyes at that, it actually did start to help. It's all about tuning into your body.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Howii said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Laura - Yeah, I do need to be more open-minded. I get a mental block when I hear "sugary" phrases like that. :-P

4:41 PM  
Blogger C said...

I used to roll my eyes at "inhale and send your breath to the places that hurt." But oh, my! It works, LOL! :o)

Ok, now everyone breathe out some sunshine and rainbows. Goooood! ;o)

8:02 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks Laura! On my way to Amazon to check this out. We could all do yoga together this way.

Candace, I've been doing that for years to relieve pain. I didn't realize that it was yoga.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Candace - Good tip. I'll have to just get past the mental block. I think I'll do what TSHS said and order from Amazon. The extra practice can't hurt. :-)

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home