Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Spring Cleaning

Disclaimer: This is not the most exciting or entertaining post you will read on this blog. Do not operate heavy machinery after reading this post, as you may become drowsy.

It seems like there are so many things going on in my life, I don't know where to start. Firstly, I am getting over my fear of the dentist as I keep going back to my new dentist - she is just that good. I'm one replacement filling and one regular filling away from being done with major dental work for a while. I have even abandoned trying to invent reasons to cancel my dentist appointments, which is a major milestone for me.

At work, things are crazy with conferences - everyone freaks out at spring conferences because topics like "retention" and "not performing at grade level" come up and there is this realization that there really is not much left of this school year. One of my favorite kids is moving away - why do all my good ones leave or graduate? As usual, I have new kids to replace the kids leaving - the latest addition to my caseload is a little kindergartener with autism. He's very sweet, repeats everything I say, lines up cars (and other objects that are in my room), and can't sit in a chair to save his life.

When I'm not pouring myself into work, I am busy trying to figure out which avenues are open to me professionally. I am planning to take the GRE (again!) and try to get into Stanford's Linguistic department to get my PhD. This option became more promising as I ruled out opening my own business in this area. I have roughly 65 kids on my caseload and I know of two who actually go to private therapy to augment school services. And also, how many speech therapists does San Jose really need? There are a gazillion already...

As for personal growth, I feel stagnant lately. I try to knit and it takes me forever and a day to finish a simple project like a dishcloth. Of course, this might be because I have four projects going on at one time, which I realize is too much. Why do I do this to myself? I have started to evaluate the things that once held my attention, but have since been cast aside - my Nintendo DS (which is a good thing since gaming is a big time waster), books that I start and never finish, Sudoku puzzles that I start and leave half-completed, and even quilting projects (which I've always found enjoyable). I think I need to do some major spring cleaning - both of my physical space and of my own habits and activities. How can I expect to focus on things admidst the clutter in my life when I can't even handle extra clutter on my desk? Yes, it's time to simplify.

4 Comments:

Blogger Purring said...

Simple down baby, simply down.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Well, at least I finally realized what needed to happen. Duhh, me. :-P

12:05 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

You're right, physical clutter does clutter the mind! Uncluttering Z has been our major mission in life the last few weeks. He shows improvement every time we unclutter an area in his life!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences this. I sometimes go overboard in cleaning out though - getting rid of things that actually need to be kept.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home