Sunday, April 13, 2008

Filoli

Today was our first visit to Filoli. It's a historical mansion and gardens halfway between San Jose and San Francisco. Since there are 16 acres of gardens and a huge mansion, I should not feel at all bad that I couldn't see it all in 2 hours. The name of the place is quite unique and is a combination of letters from the estate owner's favorite quote: "Fight for a just cause; Love your fellow man; Live a good life".

My goal was to visit Filoli before the tulips died because I had always wanted to go to Marysville, WA for the tulip festival when I lived in the Seattle area, and I never made it there. Luckily, the roses will be in bloom by the time of my next visit in early June, when I will bring my mom.

The admission is $12 per adult (babies are free), which seemed a bit steep until you set foot on the place. I can only imagine the staff it takes to maintain the grounds and keep the displays in the mansion clean and in order.

I was very glad I went, and I'd recommend it for a nice Sunday outing. I give it a rating of 8 out of 10 dancing feet.






10 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

Beautiful. Sounds like and interesting place.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Insomniac said...

Wow! It looks gorgeous :) Flowers are definitely one of the best parts of Spring.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tweety - It was very beautiful. My pictures don't do it justice.

Insomniac - You would have liked it. Next time you're up, we'll see what's in bloom.

2:22 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Gorgeous!! I love the name of the estate, too...very creative.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

SME - I never would have found this place if it hadn't been for my friends. They took their son on an Easter egg hunt there, and that's how they discovered it. I'm always looking for places to take visitors.

5:32 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Fight for a just cause; Love your fellow man; Live a good life

I like this person already.

Nice flowers. Never even heard of the place, but I'll have to check it out one of these days. We're probably a half hour away from it, so it won't be much of a drive for us.

I used to go to Botanical Gardens all the time in Houston. I'd go there just to chill. So I kind of like these sort of things.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - You guys would enjoy it - even Junior. If he's under 12, he gets in for $5. You can look at the website filoli.org to see what's in bloom at certain times. The website also gives some history of the place. :-)

7:33 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I'll bet JB liked all the colors! ;)

10:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Perfect time of the year for this visit.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - Jellybean is just happy to get out and see new things. But yeah, he loves bright colors. It was fun to take him there!

Michael - Definitely! I love the spring!!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home