Friday, September 30, 2005

Angels and Demons

Okay, I'm horrible - I cannot seem to make it that far into "People's History of the United States", which has been recommended by a few people. But dammit, the text is tiny and I get distracted by how many pages there are and then I get tired and if there is any extraneous noise, I have to re-read the pages because I can't recall what I just read. So, that book is going to get shelved until I'm on breaks and don't have to concentrate on other things. Conversely, I don't seem to have problems concentrating with the current book I'm reading - "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. My mom lent to to me and I intend to read all three books (I think that's all there are). So far, it's hard to put down and there are several historical references that have piqued my curiosity, but the most interesting one is that there were apparently ties between the Illuminati and the Free Masons.

The reason this is interesting to me is that, two years ago when I lived in Spokane, I worked at the Masonic Temple there in the non-profit Clinic for Childhood Language Disorders. Basically, it was a place that provided free speech and language therapy to children ages 2-7 who did not have accompanying disorders. For anyone who reads this blog, it's a good resource for people to know about because most cities have such a clinic, which is nice for people who can't afford upwards of $800 per month for private speech therapy.

To get back on track, though, I was always irritated when people would ask where I worked and I when I mentioned that I worked in the Masonic Temple, many of them said something like "Ohhhh... did you know they're a cult?". This always made me frown and wonder if there were shady dealings by the very nice elderly men who were the Masons, but I always dismissed any such notions. I know the book is fiction, but it mentiones in the foreword that many historical references mentioned in the book are factual. The book portrays the Free Masons as innocent - that the Illuminati infiltrated similar groups without the group members fully realizing what was happening. I'm not really sure if this is what happened, but so far when I google search "Illuminati + Freemasons", I get some pretty interesting websites that are pretty interesting, to put it mildly. It seems that, over the years, Illuminati was a name that was used for different reasons and that the actual group started to incorporate too many members that it was not "pure" in form like it was when the Illuminati was started. At any rate, I have more reading up to do in this area.

The other thing I found fascinating was that US currency says "In God We Trust", but also has Illuminati symbols and writing (Illuminati was a group that was for the advancement of science and were at odds with people of religion over the origin of man - that is the short explanation), such as the eye above the pyramid. The reason why such inconsistencies appear on our currency, supposedly, is because the phrase "Novus Ordo Seclorum" was translated incorrectly by a man to Theodore Roosevelt as meaning "New Deal". Coincidentally (or not), both men were Freemasons. (Play eerie music at this moment for effect).

Okay, okay - this book is fiction and it's purely for enterainment, but it makes me want to read up on more juicy tidbits that could be historically correct and significant. Honestly, I can see why people were so upset by the series when it first came out. I mean, if this book got people thinking and wondering .... then that leads to (gasp) the seeking of knowledge from other sources.... which could lead to (wince) people being enlightened about parts of world history that were not taught in our high school and college classes. All of this is what many people would hate to have happen because how can you indoctrinate people to all sorts of ideas/mindsets/cults/organized religions if they question what you teach them?

8 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

I've been reading a lot about this stuff lately, too. The Illuminati thing is way too scary if you take it seriously, which I try NOT to. But...it does make you wonder.
The Knights Templar are tied into this mess too. That's how I started reading up on the other things.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - What have you found out about Knights Templar? I am enjoying the read, but like you, I don't take it too seriously

6:35 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Storm - I do too - it's even more interesting when there's a mention of something that's familiar to you.

Justice - My hat's off - you have more "sticktoit-ness" than I do. I really want to read "People's History", but I need fluff when I'm working because it takes so much out of me. Summer will be a good time for more educational reading. :-P

3:43 PM  
Blogger Bert said...

okay, i'm so with you on the 'people's history of the united states'. i've started reading it more than once, but feel completely uneducated because i just can't seem to get into it! i actually listened to 'angels & demons' recently (because, as you see above, i'm completely uneducated and don't actually read). it was truly very interesting. i listened to dan brown's second book, 'the davinci code' before it. also interesting, but much the same as the first. anyway, thanks for validating me. :)

7:11 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Bert - You have no idea how lame I felt not being able to get through that book. Sometimes I swear my mind is leaving me. At least I'm not the only one who's having trouble with it. :-)

9:06 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - I think you're right. Interesting historical note from my hometown: There is a picture of Teddy Roosevelt breaking ground at the site of the Spokane, WA Masonic Temple. The picture is hanging in one of their meeting rooms.

2:14 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

The Freemasons are regular people, just like everyone else. I've heard a million conspiracies about all the power they hold. They're all bunk.

As for Novus Ordo Seclorum, it means the New Order for the Ages, which pretty much says that America will rule. It was coined in the 1700s on our money. It has nothing to do with the New World Order or the New Deal, for it was the 1700s, not the 1900s.

They correctly predicted America would be the most prosperous and powerful nation in the world.

As for Angels and Demons, I have yet to read it.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Hey ZS - Thanks for the info. Pretty interesting book so far... As I stated in my blog entry, I take what I read in fiction with a grain of salt, even if it says it's based on fact. :-) Also, I am the first to admit when I've not done enough research. :-P

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home