Saturday, September 24, 2005

Movie Review: 40 Year Old Virgin

I absolutely love The Daily Show crew. Steve Carell is no exception after this movie - even though I didn't see him much as a correspondent on The Daily Show. I was not expecting much from this flick, just a few laughs on a Friday night to go with my margarita buzz from the previous post. I have to say that Virgin was a bit more than I'd hoped for. On my grading system, I'd give it a "B". I've heard of actual 40 year-old virgins being upset by the movie, but I just kind of set that aside. Any group of people could be upset with any number of movies for their content if they don't have the ability to laugh at themselves and the world once in a while. Basic premise of the story is that Carell plays a character named Andy who works in a "Circuit City" type store and is 40 and is, of course, a 40 year-old virgin. All of his "friends" he works with are not and they routinely talk about their conquests and Andy tries to keep up, but his friends quickly find out he's full of shit. So the movie centers around his friends' efforts to "hook him up", even after he's found a lady who he wants to date, and offers commentary and jokes about the sexual aspect of relationships.

Some of my favorite lines included "She's a ho fo' sho" when he was covering for his friend who did speed-dating with him when he was confronted by said friend's pissed-off girlfriend. I just about fell over when he went to the bookstore to pick up the blond girl by asking her a string of questions that mimicked the questions she asked him - one of the last ones being "Do you like to 'do it yourself'?". One of the funniest parts was when he went to get his chest waxed and was cussing a blue streak - even the actress who played the waxer-girl could not keep a straight face.

There were a few moments that were not stellar - like when Andy accompanied his girlfriend's daughter to the Planned Parenthood Clinic to talk about birth control. That was a bit hokey. Also, at the end, the learning curve for good sex seems to have been accelerated which left me saying, "yeah, right". Overall, though, it was worth my time and provided much needed comic relief for a Friday night.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Haven't seen it yet, but thanks for the review. I still haven't decided if I want to see it or not.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

No problem, ZS. :-) My next movie will probably be Corpse Bride.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home