Thursday, September 29, 2005

My First Project


This is my first project on my new sewing machine - they will be placemats. I almost finished a placemat, but I didn't get the binding done (the finishing outer edge) because I bought blue for the edge, which I realized would be too much blue. This weekend, I'll be going to the quilting store and getting some sort of white material for the binding.

You should have seen me - I was almost afraid to touch my macine. I gingerly opened the instruction book (which is about 136 pages), took a few glances, said "screw it", and tried it on my own. I hate reading manuals - I am more of a "hands on" learner. Several gray hairs, many many curse words, and one broken sewing machine needle later.... I finally figured out how to run my machine enough to do basic stitches. I now know how to change the needles, change the feet (I even have a walking foot!), load the bobbin, and thread it. I have to admit, it's a pretty nifty machine - I can't wait to learn to do more fancy things with it.

Time to stop sewing for the night - my eyes are crossed, my back hurts, and my hair is frazzled.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

My wife was the assistant for the lady who made all the costumes for the local Shakespeare festival. Her buddy said that if I buy the material, she'll make my wife a medieval dress. I'm going to take her up on that.

I wish there was more of a market for that kind of talent. Nothing sexier than some homemade dresses I've seen. Plus, I think knowing how to sew is sexy.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - I thought it made me look old and crotchety. :-P There are some beautiful things one can make though...

Storm - They have good classes at the sewing stores. It's a good thing to know how to do. :-)

6:25 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - It was a made-up pattern. I haven't figured out how to make my own patterns yet. :-P

12:52 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - I'm not sure which is worse. :-P It reminds me of a saying I heard somewhere about men never being able to ask for directions and women never being able to follow them.

4:36 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

You've got it whipped, girl! Changing bobbins, threading the needle and changing the feet are the most important things you need to know. The rest is just fluff and will come as you need it.

ZS, Notta's right. You've obviously never seen a woman after a full day of sewing. NOT a pretty sight!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - Yeah, changing the needle was the hardest. :-/ I'm impatient to do harder stitches.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home