Saturday, October 08, 2005

Baby Steps

I went yesterday after work to get my hair done and I got to talking with Sunshine, the gal who was fixing my hair. Hairdressers have the gift of gab - they pretty much have to right? Isn't it a job requirement for them? At any rate, we found out that we were both not San Jose natives and were talking about how hard it is to get used to a new place. Towards the top of our lists of things we miss were our friends. Even though I'm a very social creature (it's a huge part of my job, as well), I am having a hard time connecting. I meet a ton of people, but I don't want to be friends with the parents I meet. I've learned through others' examples to keep a strict boundary between my professional life and my personal life. There are plenty of teachers I meet since I work at three schools - and they come in all ages. The problem is that it takes a while for me to trust someone enough to call them "friend", and I've done so much moving around lately that I don't stay long enough to get to that point. This is the first weekend I've sought out two other women I've met to have a coffee date. I'm very picky about who I seek out - they are usually at least my age or older. They either are in a serious relationship/marriage or have been in one and they usually have children or at least feel very comfortable around them. The younger ladies don't understand that I can't stay out until the wee hours of the morning drinking and the older ladies are a bit too grumpy for me and they talk about things that are before my time. As far as character traits, I've never thought about that as much when deciding who I will spend my time with. My three good friends from Seattle are so very different - one is wild and carefree and definitely a realist; the other is very grounded in her roots, down to earth, is the most genuine person I think I've ever met, with an awesome sense of humor and a laugh that is infectious; and the third is very conservative (bordering on uptight), emotional, funny, and the most giving person you'd ever meet. Each one comes from very different walks of life and have had very different experiences to bring them to where they are now. I feel like they balance me out pretty well. I miss that - I miss them, my friends. It's hard to be in a new place and find people who balance me out, but finally after two months of living here, I am taking baby steps...

5 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Good luck with the branching out. I gotta admit, in this domestic/work balance I carry out, I rarely make time for actual friends anymore.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Jason - Who do you interact with besides your family? I would go crazy if I didn't have some girlfriends to talk to - even H knows and accepts that. He told me that guys are not like girls that way, though. Also, I know you have kids and a wife - they can keep a person very busy. :-P

12:51 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - Yes and no. "Yes" in a sense that I'm very aware of who will make a good match for me and who I'd be a bad match for and I don't try to fit in where I obviously don't. "No" in the sense that I've pre-judged someone before and she ended up being a very true and good friend of mine. I try to keep what's important in mind, but not adhere too strictly to a "list".

9:39 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

I hear you, Notta. Making friends is hard work. It has gotten better for me over the years but it has taken me a long time for me to acquire those close friends. One of my best friends ever, I met at work and initially we didn't even like each other and now we are best buds. Hang in there, you will make some new best friends very soon.

2:27 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angel - I feel like I'm starting to make friends - yesterday was a small step towards that. :-)

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home