Saturday, October 08, 2005

Movie Review: Serenity

Went to see "Serenity" tonight and I'm not sure what I think of it yet. I enjoyed it, although it wasn't the greatest film I've ever seen. What struck me the most was how the music matched what was happening and I actually noticed it (many times, I don't notice music in a movie) and also how much humor was inserted into even very tense situations. I understood the plot, but one of the main characters - River - was a bit annoying. I can see why they made her psychic, but I don't understand the point of having her be a "badass ninja type". That part got annoying because there's no way in hell a stick of a girl like her could "take down" all the evil reavers. (Insert "eye roll" here). Also, the dialogue was difficult to follow - the script was in a sort of English that I'm not used to. I knew nothing about the history of "Serenity" before I went to see it - that it was actually sort of an extension of "Firefly" - a short lived series on Fox. Now that I know that, the movie makes more sense, and somehow I have lowered expectations, which improved my opinion of the movie. Bottom line: If you like the humor of some of the shows that the writer has worked on and you don't mind a little "corniness", then the movie is pretty decent. If not, then save your $10 and wait for the DVD release.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

So...on a scale of one to ten dead zombies?

4:16 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Hmm... I'd have to say 6 dead zombies. Hope that helps. :-P

4:41 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Ah, I forgot about this post. There was so much hype from others about it that I forgot about the lone dissenter. ;)

Oh well, six is still better than average I guess but not good.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home