Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Book Review: Marley and Me

I'm rather proud of myself for finishing yet another book. I am putting blinders on regarding all the books I've started and have yet to finish. Really, though, I should not be proud about this accomplishment - this book was very easy to read. It's about a man and his misbehaving Yellow Lab and the adventures and craziness that happens as a result of raising his dog, Marley. I won't give away all the parts, but I laughed hysterically when the author describes one incident when Marley manages to get ahold of a gold necklace, which leaves the author on the lookout in the dog droppings to retrieve it. The reason I could laugh at these antics is because it was not me on the receiving end of this dog's bad behavior. Even though I love dogs, I doubt that I would have stayed the course with this dog (or any other dog as poorly behaved as this one). No matter what, though, it's very clear the love this author had for his dog. It's a good thing too, because dogs like that can be hard for people to love. The thing that I could relate to the most is the connection this man had with his dog - and how faithful this dog was to his master. In the end, when the dog passed away, I could not help my tears. For anyone who is a dog owner or dog lover, this is an excellent book - it is funny, endearing, at times sad, and overall very entertaining. I give "Marley and Me" nine dancing feet out of ten.

6 Comments:

Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - I think that's a common problem with labs and retrievers. They eat EVERYTHING. I gave my dog to my mom and she eats rocks all the time. Who knows what else she eats? For a while, I didn't read at all (right after I finished grad school). I'm slowly getting into it again and it feels good. :-)

5:51 PM  
Blogger ~d said...

Goodness I love to read-as soon as I umm, notify al youse who I have TAGGED!!! (heh hehe, you too! ) I plan to read: boys are asleep, husband not home.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

~D - I wonder what happens in that book. You'll have to keep me posted. :-)

7:53 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I'll have to read this one.
Our last lab ate rocks and threw them up on our daughter's bed. The one we have now eats poop. I don't know which is worse. :(

12:32 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - It depends... for "overall grossness factor", eating poo is worse (we had a doberman that did that). For vet bills and general doggy well being, eating rocks is worse.

5:33 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Yeah, the vet said that we were lucky that our dog was throwing up the rocks. It was WAY cheaper than surgery.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home