Saturday, April 08, 2006

Do You Know the Way to Monterey?

Since we didn't know what the weather would be like in our neck of the woods, we decided to make the almost-two-hour drive to Monterey. I'm certainly glad we did, and I can't wait to go back there this summer to look around more. They have a great beach and several shops along the water where you can enjoy the view. There is even a Ghirardelli shop where you can enjoy a root beer float while sitting on the deck watching the people play in the water!

No trip to Monterey would be complete without seeing the Aquarium. I wasn't sure what to expect, other than that friends had said that this was well worth the visit. This is the closest thing I saw to a killer whale. I liked the decorations they had and the Monterey Aquarium had more on display than the one in Seattle, but I didn't get to see any otters, which was a bit disappointing.
One of the prettiest parts was where they housed the tropical fish - I love how colorful they are and, if the place wasn't so packed with people, I'd have liked to stay longer and just look.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the penguins - they looked out of their element and I couldn't help but feel sorry for them that they were locked up for our amusement. Just like when I visit the zoo, I go between really enjoying seeing the animals and feeling guilty that they are in captivity.

The prettiest fish there were the jellyfish - they had quite a few varieties. This was the best picture that I took - it was quite difficult to get a decent shot. My favorite jellyfish were the very tiny ones that are transparent and look like little light bulbs. Maybe I think they are pretty because I've never been stung by one.

This was the most unique display - it housed a bunch of old signs and household items (like a hairdryer from the 60's) along with the normal seaweed and such. Here is a fish poking his head out of the bottle that I hope he's not stuck in.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable day. I would say that visiting Monterey is worth while, even without a trip to the aquarium, especially if you like the ocean and window shopping. My next visit here, I plan to either do some more shopping and looking around in the historic downtown area or go on a day fishing trip to see what I can catch.

15 Comments:

Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - I get the picture, but you're corrupting my virgin mind! :-P

I always thought otters were so cute and playful. I will be on guard.

8:58 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

"Mean" otters reminds me of a line from Ring of Bright Water: "Otters bite because they love you". I don't know why, but this line has stuck with me ever since I read that book.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

I've never heard of that book, but what a funny quote. On a related note, that's what I was told about boys in the second grade: they only chase you and tease you and make your lives miserable because they like you. :-/

7:01 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Yeah, if a boy punches you in the arm, you're practically engaged! ;)

The book was also a movie of the same name. It's about a couple that raises an orphaned otter.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Ooh, you should have told us you were going. We would have loved to take the babies to Monterey (we have Booja this weekend in addition to Nutmeg). Then again, it wouldn't be the same quiet, relaxing trip I'm sure you had!

I think their otters might have gotten sick or something. We saw a lot of them the time we kayaked around the harbor area in Monterey though. Let us know if you want to do any kayaking before we move away.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - When I was in second grade, one boy used to chase me all the time. Then one day he threw me down on the ground and kissed me. I was so mad that I socked him one and we both got in trouble. I learned quickly that boys = trouble. :-P

Tessence - We should have let you know, but it was 2 hours just from our place. Wasn't sure if you'd want to make an almost 3 hour trek for one day. Have you guys been to the aquarium? We are going to go again soon - I love it there. H and I will give you a call. I have never kayaked before - that's something we should do with you guys. There is so much here that we don't know about yet - I hope we don't move away before there's time to do it all.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Faltenin said...

I like the fish in the bottle! Cute!!!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Fal - I didn't even see it at first - my son pointed it out to me. My pictures don't do the place justice, I'm afraid.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Looks like you had a great day! Love going to zoos and aquariums but I haven't had the chance lately. Hopefully, I will get to see some killer whales at Sea World the next time I plan a trip to San Antonio.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angelique - That's one regret I have - not visiting Sea World when I lived in the area. Maybe another time...

12:33 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

We have a Water Otter in our kitchen.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

Isn't it strange that whenever I come across the word flacid, it seems that one body part holds the monopoly for its use.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Vest said...

Many years ago I visited the Whaling museum and planetarium in Mystic Connecticut. Close by in New London I had a turkey dinner on the USS Nautilus. Have any of you nice persons done that gig.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Vest - Yeah, it's pretty unfair that "flacid" is almost always associated with a guy's you-know-what. I haven't traveled much or seen any of Conneticut. I guess I need to get out more. :-P

6:17 AM  
Blogger Purring said...

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home