Sunday, April 02, 2006

Movie Review: V for Vendetta

This film is very interesting, to say the least. I hadn't read any information on it before seeing it, but just decided to go since there are not that many other decent movies out right now. First of all, I think Natalie Portman did a decent job portraying her character - she was much better than in the Star Wars Episode films. I don't know the person who played "V", but he was good also. The person they got to play the Chancellor was good because he had horrible teeth (think along the lines of Steve Buscemi, whose teeth always freak me out), which is the halmark of a lunatic-dictator-type person. There may have been other things about him that were disturbing (like his over-dilated pupils and wild hair), but they took a backseat to his choppers.

The basic premise is that this man, V, was an unwilling participant in a study done years ago that killed of most of the "participants". He remained strong enough to resist the disease they injected him with, and managed to escape in a fire most likely started by him. Badly disfigured and pissed off (rightly so), at the government, he launches his attack on the British Parliament with the help of Evie (Portman). At first, it was difficult to understand why Evie went along with V, but the film does a decent job of explaining about Evie's politically-inclined family who were most likely killed for expressing their views against the British government. Also, the movie does a nice job of linking the press to the government, which seems to be an obvious link in most countries around the world. I won't give away much more of the plot, but in the end, the message is that we, the people, need to have hope and feel empowered not to just "bend over and take it" from our goverments.

I'd give this film 8 out of 10 dancing feet, but please don't take the little kiddies. Like usual, I was dismayed at the number of parents bringing babies and young children to a film like this - there was a bit of blood and killing that would be enough to scare the shit out of the little ones. Bottom line: take your hunny, but get a sitter.

7 Comments:

Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Kitkat - I had a dream about V's mask last night. I knew it would give me nightmares. Strangely enough, no nightmares about the bad teeth. :-P

5:04 PM  
Blogger Faltenin said...

OK, maybe I'll go then.

I'm always worried before going to see films based on graphic novels I love (read I venerate)

9:16 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Falt - I've never read it, so I had no expectations. :-)

9:22 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Yeah, I dream about silly things.

1:30 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Thanks for the review. I bugged Shawn to write one, but he didn't. I'm going to see it soon.

First of all, I think Natalie Portman did a decent job portraying her character - she was much better than in the Star Wars Episode films.

Ms Portman's a fine actress. I blame this more on the director (Lucas).

Like usual, I was dismayed at the number of parents bringing babies and young children to a film like this - there was a bit of blood and killing that would be enough to scare the shit out of the little ones.

Yeah, this drives me nuts. We saw little kiddies in the latest Rob Zombie movie. You have to wonder if these parents have any brains.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - I'm still not the greatest at writing movie reviews, but you get the general idea, along with my bias. :-P

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

watched V for Vendetta recently, loved it. eye-candy effects, amazing how much character they developed into a mask, then again, maybe he was more than a mask...

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home