Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Like the Rest of Me, My Brain is Aging

This is what I have recently realized from playing a Nintendo DS game called "Brain Age" that a friend lent to us. It should not be much of a shock that my brain is "old", but it was because my daily work requires a lot of mental energy. It seems like I'm always thinking of how to say things the right way, doing calculations in my head to see accuracy levels at which my students perform certain tasks, and memorize names and numbers and important dates.

Let me just say that, even though some of the dialogue on this brain game is corny, I really enjoy the game itself. It has different daily activities and tips that are meant to "improve your brain age" - like doing calculations, reading passages aloud as quickly as you can, and remembering lists of words. I'm very quick with my calculations, and my word memory skills are good also. One of the things I have the most trouble with are the drawings. The doctor on the game will randomly tell me to draw three different things, and I never know what they will be.

This is my version of "the thinker". Don't ask me why, but when I draw people, the men all have hair that stick up. This is an improvement over my drawings I do for my kids at school - those are all stick figures.

This is my depiction of the Statue of Liberty. I guess I forgot to put hair on her - minor detail. Also, it looks like the torch is just a mechanical extension of her left arm, much like "The Terminator".

This is my anchor, and to date, the most accurate picture I've drawn.
Notice the sleek lines of this race car that are very similar to the Pacer of the 1970's.

Last, but not least, this is Mona Lisa. Upon further reflection, she looks more like Lucy from The Peanuts.

You can see that I still have a ways to go on my artistic skill, but thank goodness I can accurately count syllables of whimsical phrases and sentences!

12 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

epu says that game is yours to keep :-) glad you enjoyed it.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Faltenin said...

Remeber me not to have you on my team if ever we play Pictionary together...

:o)

3:02 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tessence - Thanks! I could use all the help I can get, apparently. :-P

Falt - I know - when I play Cranium, I'm horrid at the "art" type questions.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - You could safely assume that, based on my drawings. Oddly, in the game, the doctor doesn't "rate" my drawings - he only says things like "focus on such-and-such".

10:01 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Just wait until menopause. All the proper names leak out of your brain! I USED to be really good with names. :(

3:33 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

Your anchor is totally stockless, meaning the horizontal piece.
Parts of anchors various include,shank, ring, stock,crown, arms, flukes, pea or bill, gravity band and tripping palms.
Notta. Your drawings indicate your passionate desire to be a seven year old, which is not surprising if you remember the 1970's Pacer.
My first car was an aging 1936 two door Ford 8HP,rego was S938. There is a great little story involving that car, more info is available; just ask.
Please, will someone be kind to notta pleeese.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - The fact that I have to use strategies to help my memory (as opposed to it being effortless) shows that I'm aging. I can only imagine 10 years from now. :-/

Vest - Your comment about me wanting to revert to childhood is interesting. Mostly because I've had dreams with similar themes, but I won't bore you with those. :-P

4:01 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Julia - At home analysis? There would be a lot more people with "mental disorders" running around. Whether or not they truly have a disorder? Hmm....

7:51 AM  
Blogger Vest said...

i just love metaphorical comments. They provide two loaves where there only seems to be one.
Sometimes they throw in a load of Fish.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Kitkat - See, I'm not a "details" person, especially in art. It's why I get "dinged" at my work, also. It's also why I don't read directions, but just tend to "go for it".

11:23 AM  
Blogger Vest said...

READING DIRECTIONS: I recall an incident in the work place. A toolmaker- metal worker was fired for disregaring the instructions placed at his disposal, this 'Know All' failed to notice that the batch of work he was given, was to be completed with METRIC THREADS not Brit Standard Threads, It lay undiscovered for days, and the loss to the business was enormous

4:21 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Vest - I read (and follow) directions when it matters or when the stakes are high (like at work). But I just hate to - it's not what I'm good at.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home