Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Who Doesn't Love Pooh?



These are some pictures from my newest quilt that I just finished - it's called "drag-a-rag" and it's a lot of fun. It's also a lot of work - not only do you do a TON of cutting of 5 inch squares (there are 11 rows of 11 squares of three fabric thickness - for the front, filling, and back), but it takes quite a while to make all the uniform 1/4 inch cuts along the seams that are on the front of the blanket. Luckily, I actually listened to my mom's advice and invested in some spring loaded "snippers", which is probably the only reason my hand hasn't fallen off by now. I was proud of myself because I had to do a couple of things with my sewing machine that I haven't done before - install the second thread holder, install and use the double needle, and thread the double needle correctly in order to finish the border. I did all of this without breaking my machine or any related parts and without ripping my hair out or cursing too horribly. My advice to anyone who is going to try this type of quilt is to pay close attention to the fabric you're buying. If it says "flannel", don't substitute fleece because it doesn't "rag" as well. Don't make the cuts too close to the seams, lest it fall apart in the washing and drying process. Also, for your focus fabric that goes down the center, don't pick too big of a pattern, otherwise it will not look quite right (please refer to the picture of Piglet's head with the rest of his body cut off). Other than that, have a blast picking out material and don't worry about what it will look like in the end - it will turn out cuter than you think it will (I wasn't sure about how mine would look when I was in the process of laying out the squares).

10 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

NICE work!

I've never done the 2 thread thing with my machine. It's never come up before; either that or I'm chicken. ;)

4:38 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - Thanks! I hope my friend will like it, but she's not a seamstress, so I don't think she'll notice that all my seams don't match perfectly. I just about wimped out on the double thread, but I'm on my spring break, so I have no excuse for not taking the time to figure it out. :-P

5:07 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Cute! I love those ragged-edge quilts. Who's having a baby?

9:09 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Thanks, Tessence. My friend Brandy and her husband are trying. So, even if I can't give it to her, it seems that everyone around me (especially at work) is having a baby. It will come in handy. :-)

9:29 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

I think your quilt is perfect! It looks great and it sounds like you are having fun. I hope that one day I will have enough patience to try quilting. Besides, Winnie the Pooh rocks!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angelique - I have patience for just about anything when I'm not working. It's a whole different story when I'm back at work. :-P

10:04 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tee, hee... thanks, Scrunch. :-P

10:42 AM  
Blogger Vest said...

W T Pooh, A A Milne, Pooh was born The same year as I. anyone Know?

2:41 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Pooh was born in 1924. I'm sure he predates you. :-P

6:22 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

hang on a bit, wasn't pooh called winnie, so why 'He'.
Pooh would predate me IF you were correct, try again.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home