Sunday, August 19, 2007

10 Things

I was tagged by SME over at Blue Apples. I've done something similar, so I've been trying to think of some different things to share. To add a different flair, I will tell 10 things about me from the past.

  • I love chocolate, but I hate hot fudge. When I was in second grade, I went to a friend's birthday party. We had pizza, juice, and munchies. Later that evening, my friend's dad took us to DQ for Peanut Buster Parfaits. That sent me right over the edge, and I don't remember ever throwing up as much as I did that night. In reality, it was probably the pizza and juice combination that did it, but the last thing I ate was hot fudge. To this day, I cannot touch the stuff.
  • When I was little, I tortured my younger brother. I forced him to eat mud pies, I would convince him to touch things on the ground, and then stomp on his fingers. The worst was when Grandma fixed us mashed potatoes, I decided to mix sand in his. He got me back, though, by peeing on me in the bathtub (grandma used to make us take baths together when we were little). After that, I was nicer to my bro.
  • When I was a young girl, I hated blowing my nose. My grandmother was always after me to blow my nose, which seemed to constantly be stuffed or runny. To avoid the Kleenex, I would go hide under my bed and then sniff hard repeatedly. Luckily, I have no aversion to blowing my nose present day.
  • My friend and I went to the mall when we were about 12 or so. I had this favorite clothing shop that I liked, so we went in to take a look. I found this little black tank top that I had to have and it was on sale for a few dollars. I had the money, but I stole the tank top anyway. I never got caught, but when I got home, it was the wrong size and I never could wear it. Plus, I felt horrible, so the tank top was the first and last thing I ever stole.
  • When I was around 16 or 17, my friends convinced me I should skip school with them to go have lunch off campus. Our school was closed-campus at the time. It was the only time I'd ever done anything like that and, of course, I got caught. After that, I reverted to what I'd always done - play by the rules and be a good girl. Getting in trouble just wasn't worth it.
  • My first car was a '77 White Datsun Pickup that I bought from a family friend for $800. I paid for it all by myself with babysitting money. To this day, I still have fond memories of that truck - it got me everywhere and it was 100% mine.
  • From the time I was in fourth grade on, I planned on being a psychologist for a living. My current job is not so different from what I had planned when I was a young girl.
  • I used to work as a house-cleaner in my late teens and early twenties. Two of my clients had old houses with amazing staircases. When I cleaned, I imagined that I was the "lady of the house" and dressed in those fancy poofy dresses with my hair piled high on my head. I would regally descend the main staircase to greet my guests for the party. It made the job more fun.
  • Other than one real boyfriend in junior high, I did not date through school until I got to college. I guess you could call me a late bloomer.
  • My first "real job" was a hostess at a place in Spokane called Perkins, one of those family breakfast resaurants. I didn't much care for the job and I wasn't very good at it. I was not quick and I spilled a lot of things. That was probably my shortest-lived job. I've never worked in a restaurant since.
I'm supposed to tag 10 other people, but I will encourage anyone to complete this who wants to.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always liked Perkins, but I too am not cut out for the restaurant biz.

I think everyone has a story like your hot fudge one--for me, it's my mom's Spanish rice that I can't touch.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Kit - I haven't had Spanish rice in forever. My mom also used to make it for us, but I've never made it for my own family.

7:23 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I love eating at Perkins but I hated waitressing there. Its just one of those jobs. Now again I skipped school once too but got caught from own mother not the school. LOL.. That was funny. Alright not funny at the time but it is now in life.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tweety - I didn't realize you worked there too. As far as getting caught for skipping, a lot of things I did are funny now that I'm older. I really don't know why I did some of the things I did.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Powerful "Coming of age" memories!

12:11 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

These stories are great! The Kleenex aversion and the sandy potatoes cracked me up...the things kids come up with, eh?

6:36 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Michael - Now you can understand why I'm the mess I am. :-P

SME - I don't know how I came up with those things. The debil made me do it, I guess. :-P

8:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have a nice weekend! :D)

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love chocolate, but I hate hot fudge.

Really? I like them both.

My current job is not so different from what I had planned when I was a young girl.

That's awesome.

Funny story about your brother, and the kleenex

2:01 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Thanks, Michael - you too!

ZS - You've never gotten sick off of something and couldn't eat it after that? Plus, I was young, so everything was magnified. You know how kids are. :-P

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home