Wednesday, August 08, 2007

In Loving Tribute

I have not been ready to speak of this until now, but it's time. On July 15, 2007, my Grandma Fran passed away. She had been sick since last October. After she was diagnosed with cancer, Grandma decided to forgo treatment and enjoy the time she had left, which I believe she did. She was amazingly brave and continued to be strong in her faith. Around the holidays, she asked me to speak at her service, which I was honored to do. She made this request after reading my blog entry about "Strong Women", so it seemed only fitting to honor her in this way.

My Memories

"I have so many fond memories of my Grandma Fran. From the time I was a very young girl to my adulthood, Grandma has always been closeby and there for me. No matter the season, she was always there with either home made sun tea and a chat on the porch swing or a cup of hot cocoa and a good game of cribbage in her kitchen. When I was a young girl, Grandma always sang to me. On hot summer nights, she would sit on the front porch with me and sing my favorite song, "The Man in the Moon". During August days that sweltered, she would fill a small metal tub in the backyard with water and let Chad and I splash around. When we were sick, Grandma insisted that the best remedy was plenty of rest and her famous mustard plasters, which I detested. But she took her responsibilities seriously and helped my brother and me get well. Grandma was never too busy to spend time with me. Time was her currency and she spent a ton of it giving us individual attention. She had an infinite amount of patience when teaching me to cook, sew, knit, and crochet. Grandma never refused my offer of help in the kitchen, even though I probably made more of a mess than anything. I learned a lot from my Grandma. She was one of the strongest and most beautiful women I have known. Her strength was in her ability to make the best of every situation. I don't think I ever remember hearing her complain about anything. Grandma's beauty was in her faith and spirituality, which helped her get through tough times with grace and dignity. Grandma was from the generation that knew what it was like to do without and to get by the best you could on limited resources. I've never seen her waste anything - everything had its use, which is evidenced by one full cupboard in her kitchen filled to the brim with old Tupperware and plastic containers, some of them at least as old as I am. Grandma always had a generous spirit. When I had a child of my own, she was always there to help out. Especially in the beginning, she was there to take care of Kyle so that I could rest, later helping out so that I could return to college. Her support is something I'll never forget. I could not have gotten to where I am without it. Grandma Fran is who I like to refer to as my "sugar cookie grandma" because of her sweetness. Throughout my life, I can count the times she has been visibly upset with me on a few fingers, even though I've made countless mistakes. She has always shown me patience and kindness and I have never doubted her love for me. All of these things are what a grandmother should be. All of these things are what Grandma Fran has been and will be to me, always."

Grandma, everyone should be so lucky to have a person like you in their lives. I am a richer woman for having had you in my life. I love you.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those eyes! You can see so much life and warmth in them.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Sweetie.

Your tribute to Mom at her service was very moving. You presented it beautifully.

Love, Dad

4:42 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

SME - That's a very good description of my grandmother. :-)

Dad - It was my pleasure to, even though it was difficult. Love you!

5:37 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I know what its like to have a grandmother like this. Mine passed away when Kora was almost two. She was identical to this. She always had time. So I understand the pain you have in your heart. Looking into those eyes like SME said she has warmth and love just saying yes talk to me type of person.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Thanks Tweety. :-)

7:06 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

What a beautiful tribute!!

I thought our relationship would end when my Grandma died, but it didn't. Grandma became my guardian angel. There have been many times when I have felt her presence with me.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - That's true. I believe people's spirits are with us after they pass.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time was her currency and she spent a ton of it giving us individual attention.

Those are the best type of people in the world.

Grandma was from the generation that knew what it was like to do without and to get by the best you could on limited resources.

God, I wish this generation was more like hers.

Beautiful eulogy! You done well. :)
I'm sure she was looking down from Heaven with a smile.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - Thank you. :-) Actually, those traits that you picked up on are ones that I wish I was better at.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

She looks like a beautiful soul.Thanks for sharing such a tremendous Honor. My deepest consolences are with you!!!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Thank you, Michael. She was quite a lady. Everyone who met her thought so - from just casual acquaintances to her close friends.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home