Saturday, July 19, 2008

Super Baby Food

The other day, after some hesitation and procrastination, I finally bought the book "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron. Jellybean has been eating "solid" food for a couple of months now, which I've been purchasing in jars from the local supermarket. I forgot how expensive baby food is! Plus, for the "second foods", they have additives listed on the label, some of which I'm unfamiliar with. About a month ago, I spotted a copy of this book at my friend's house, and she was saying how much she liked the book and how easy it is to make baby food. Then, she gave me some applesauce she had made for her son, and Jellybean seemed to like it. The kicker is that my friend works over 30 hours per week and still finds time to do this, so I figured that, since I'm not working this summer, now is my chance to try to make it work.

Last night, after purchasing some of the supplies I needed (I really only needed to buy ice cube trays because I had the other items required), I made nectarines. Because Jellybean is over 6 months old now, I don't need to cook all his fruits. All I did was peel the nectarines, cut them in small sections, threw them in the food processor, and hit "blend". Once that is done, I filled ice cube trays with the food, put foil over it, and let it freeze overnight. Using this method, I am able to make perfect baby size portions that will last at least a month (because I don't give JB the same fruits every day). This morning, I went to Whole Foods and purchased yams, apples, and carrots, and will use almost the same method to make these baby foods. The only difference is that I need to steam the veggies first before blending them. Next, I plan to make the "super porridge" made from brown rice. It does not sound very appetizing to me, but I figure that now is the time to get the little guy started on healthy foods so that he develops a taste for good foods that are not so processed and sugary.

This book also has some helpful hints about what to have in your kitchen to make your life easier, stresses having an uncluttered kitchen (which is a challenge for me), and has some home-made recipes for other things besides just baby food. There are a few things that I don't agree with. For one, the author makes it a point that parents always need to have a happy face, especially when changing diapers, so that JB doesn't have sexual repression issues later in life. Huh?!? However, I like how she advises to check with the pediatrician about ages at which certain foods should be introduced, and encourages parents to follow the pediatrician's advice first and foremost since different sources give conflicting information.

I've read most of the book except for the recipe section, which I am using piecemeal so that I don't get overwhelmed. Overall, I'd recommend this book to parents of babies who really want to make home-made baby food, but thought it was too hard.

12 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

Good for you!

The only time I ever used store-bought baby food was when we were traveling. And that includes 30+ years ago, when SME was a baby.

I recently went to a baby shower where one of the games was guessing the flavor of various baby foods. They all tasted the same! :( That NEVER happened with my homemade baby food.

8:09 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I have to admit we always bought the babyfood. But with Bri when she was 8 months old I started her on regular food. I mean mac and cheese and just noodles instead of meat of course. Speghetti and such with sauce. Again no meat.

Just keep us posted on how he likes his home made meals..

10:46 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - I've tasted some of the baby food in jars, which makes me understand why JB gives me the "scrunched-up" face when I feed him. I am feeding him his first home-made meal tonight. *cross my fingers for luck*.

Tweety - Like TSHS said, I'll still use jar food when we travel, butbI want JB to eat healthy food. He had tofu for the first time the other night. His reaction was like mine - he didn't love it, but didn't hate it. I'll keep ya posted.

2:05 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Good for you! The processed stuff can't possibly be very healthy. And if you can get JB to acquire a taste for tofu, you deserve some kind of medal! (my mom won't eat it without making a face) ;)

9:17 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

SME - So far, so good. JB has had carrots, nectarines, yams, and apples that are home-made. Tomorrow, I will get some broccoli (and anti-gas drops) and some pears. We tried avacados the other day, which he LOVED! He spit up the carrots all evening, so I will have to maybe mix them with something else. I'm not sure what went wrong. He hasn't refused any food so far, so we're lucky that way. :-)

10:24 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Super Baby Food is one of my favorite books, and I still keep it in my kitchen altho the kids are way past baby food. As you have found out, there is nothing to it. Honestly, I rarely even bothered freezing much baby food -- then again Pebbles was not much of a puree fan so I ended up giving her tiny chopped up fruit and steamed veg from very early on.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Carrie - The only thing I don't like about the book is that it has some conflicting information about which ages to introduce which foods. For example, it says it's okay to feed an 8-month-old nuts when other sources say not until 1 year. Also, it doesn't make sense why you'd give an 8-month-old yogurt and cottage cheese when they cannot have cows milk until 1 year. Even still, it's a good reference. JB is enjoying purees and starting to eat some finger foods. I wish he'd drink more water.

9:28 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Sounds like a pretty good diet! (better than mine lately, actually - not enough fruit).

7:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's amazing how food products have changed over the years!

2:14 AM  
Blogger begins with v said...

I tried this same technique but I found that it gave baby Slade horrible gas and I have NO idea why! So I had to go back to the gerber foods, which made me sad! Especially since I spent a whole saturday pureeing everything in sight! hehe

1:48 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Michael - There are definitely more choices now.

Slade - Everything gives Jellybean gas, so it's not that much different with jar food vs. home-made. I have to check with our doc because I need to give him so many gas drops (usually about one dose before bed each night). /sigh

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't comment on too much here (not having human babies of my own), except the "happy faces" thing. I don't know about sexual repression, but recently I heard that my nephew had started hiding behind furniture whenever he'd poop in his diaper. He figured out that Mommy was never very happy when she had to change a poopy diaper. Poor little guy.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home