Sunday, August 26, 2007

Our New Toy

In anticipation of our new little guy, my mom and her husband were kind enough to buy us this camcorder. Mom had me do my own research and pick something that H and I wanted. After reading reviews from Consumer Reports and Cnet, we chose the Panasonic SDR-H18. I haven't gotten a chance to use it much, but we charged the battery yesterday, and I was able to work the camera while reading through the instruction manual. I'm amazed at how lightweight it is. Also, the features are pretty simple, so it's not difficult to use. The zoom on it is much better than my digital camera, and you can use it to take pictures as well as video. Best of all, the camera records either straight to its 30GB hard drive or a San disk. I really had wanted to avoid the kind of camcorder that records to a tape cassette or even DVD.

This is the first video camera I've ever owned. When K was a baby, I had a hand-me-down Pentax camera, which I loved and used religiously. But it's so much nicer to have both a digital camera and camcorder so that our family can see the little guy, especially since none of our family lives close to us. Now, it's off to practice so that I'm a pro at this thing before the baby comes!

13 Comments:

Blogger begins with v said...

YAY! Congrats...that is one of the best things we did was buy a DVD camcorder for the birth. Our birth video turned out so nice! When we watched it, it wasn't nearly as scary and chaotic as I thought it was. It was beautiful. We had it positioned at the very top of the bed, so there were no x rated scenes! hehe

2:31 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

That's what I was undecided about - whether or not to tape the birth. But I'm okay with it as long as my nether regions are not in the movie. :-P

3:28 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I dont think they would have let us tape either of the births since they were c-sections. LOL.. Hope things are going well. another three and half months before the little guy gets here. I am planning on buying the rest of the yarn for his blanket on Saturday or Sunday and finishing it and then mailing it next month sometime. In Oct the latest. I am so proud of my work and I hope you like the blues I picked out for him.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tweety - It's so sweet of you. Things are going well. Jellybean is kicking up a storm. I'm sure I will like whatever you have picked out. Besides, it's the thought that counts the most to me.

11:53 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

That's the BEST baby gift I've ever heard of!! Z's baby and toddler videos are more precious every year. ;)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - I agree. My friend does regular videos of her little guy, and it's a really nice keepsake of what he's able to do at certain ages and stages, and also what his quirks are. I wish I'd had videos of K - he did funny things too, and time has softened my memory of certain things.

2:34 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

You know I have to say one thing here is I will be sitting at the desk or some place and I know I am not Pregnant and I feel this little phantom kick. I have no idea why but I do. Not very often but sometimes I will be doing nothing at all and I will feel like where Kora liked to kick me most or something. Its really weird.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to practice by filming a practically motionless sleeping infant ;-) By the time he actually starts to do something, you'll truly be a pro.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

That's true. Although this little guy is kicking so much, I'm not sure how much he'll actually sleep. Did Nutmeg or Pebbles kick so much in utero?

8:39 AM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Cool. We have a lower-end Panasonic that works like a charm.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

SME - I guess I could have gotten a lower end camera, but I really wanted something that would be easy to just load onto either google video or youtube.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HEY! Now that's a great idea! I have been learning my camera intimately out here in L.A. It really unlocks a lot of cool possiblilities. Enjoy capturing your memories! :)

2:33 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Michael - I have loved having my digital camera. I usually take it most places I go.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home