Monday, October 08, 2007

Sometimes It's Difficult....

... to know what to say. At times, there simply is not much to say, and other times there is plenty but I don't always know where to start. I guess a lot has been happening. My business partnership officially started up, but we're still waiting for our business card so we can order the testing supplies we need. We even have our first client, who needs a full evaluation (yay!) and doesn't mind waiting for us to get set up fully. My business partner and I went last Friday and networked (isn't there a better word than "networked"?) with private schools in the area so they would know our name is out there and hopefully refer people to us. Kinda funny how things happen, because on Sunday, I got a call from a fellow SLP who is looking for people who want extra work. She runs a company similar to the one I contract with. I told her that I didn't need extra work and mentioned that I've started a general partnership. She was eager to know the details, so I began explaining what we'll be doing - mostly focusing on psycho-educational evaluations and recommendations. Her response was totally opposite of some of the responses I've gotten from other SLP's - mainly that she'd be happy to refer clients our way (obviously she is overloaded). One other SLP I told my plans to warned me that I would be sorry if I "went up against her". Oh please! Because there aren't enough people out there with communication delays looking for services?!? Either way, it was a breath of fresh air to actually have some support from a colleague, which is really how it should be.

H and I put Jellybean's crib together. We had both dreaded doing it because we figured it would be a pain in the ass. Luckily, the crib took about 45 minutes from unpacking to finish it, which is the easiest thing H and I have ever assembled. Hooray for directions that make sense and quality craftsmanship - what a concept!

Speaking of things related to Jellybean, I'm getting to the point of getting nervous. Not all the time, but enough. There are things I don't remember about my first pregnancy, but I do remember the pain. I remember yelling things that I never thought I would say, like barking at the doctor "don't push him back in!!!" and "get IT out!!!". At least we're getting prepared as far as getting things set up. Next week, I'll attend a breastfeeding class, and our childbirth preparedness classes will start. I think I need more resources for what happens after the kiddo is born. Some friends of ours came over for dinner last night and mentioned the "No Cry Sleep Solution", which made me think of some other friends of ours who are struggling with their own issues. It makes me wonder what kinds of things we'll be dealing with....

On a personal front, I've been dealing with some resentment issues with someone in my life who likes to keep a scoresheet. For those unfamiliar with the concept, scorekeeping in any relationship or friendship is when one or both sides try to keep things even. I must confess, scorekeeping is ingrained in me, and has been a very hard habit to let go of, even though I know it doesn't do any good and mostly ends up doing harm. Recently, I've been on the receiving end of it, and I've had a hard time disengaging from it. I had no idea, until now, how much resentment this "keeping even" produces. The problem is that I have this compelling urge to inform this person of all the wrongs that have been done to me in the past and how that means that the scorecard will never be even in my mind, no matter what happens from here on out. This takes my focus off of just sucking it up and doing the right thing. In the end, especially with H's support, I'm choosing to do the right thing, but it's so hard for me not to say "yeah, but....". I think only time will help with this issue. The one thing I'm learning is that I'm on the receiving end for a reason, if only to give me a small taste of my own medicine.

This post is brought to you by a fellow blogger, whose link never works when I try to use it, but his simple "hello" was a reminder that I need to get off my ass and keep blogging. Hope everyone is having a good start of the week!

14 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

Hey glad to hear the business and baby are well. I will have jellybeans blanket sent out soon. I promise but I am going to do something different. I am going to send out one I already have made for him. Its not pink or anything so he can use it when he's older to and doesnt have to be embarrassed. LOL.... I am only picking. You know when we had Bri we ended up putting the crib together and then taking it down for my dad and Jeff to put it back together in the new apt we moved into right before I had Bri. LOL.. That was funny. But glad everything is going good.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tweety - Well, funny story about the crib. We put it together in our bedroom, but there is no good place to put it. We have a choice of putting it on an outside wall next to a window (which we can't do) or putting it where we will basically run into it (but it would be on an inside wall). So we might take it apart and put it together in the room next to ours and get something temporary and smaller for our room. I'm just not sure yet.

9:27 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I understand that one. Why not one of those pack and plays?? I had one for Bri and they are nice. They are flimsy but they work until you are ready to put baby in his own room. Sometimes bedrooms just arent made big enough for everything a family needs but people get through it.

9:16 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I had a bad case of "baby nerves" when I was pregnant with Z. It didn't help that 2 people I know had babies with birth defects while I was pregnant.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - I guess I'm just more worried about Jellybean's activity level. I never had to fill out a "kick count" card before, and the smallest increment of time on there is 10 minutes to count 10 movements. Well, I consistently can count 10 movements in about 2-3 minutes. I'm older now with less energy, but more patience. I hope it's a good tradeoff and that I can keep up with our little guy once he gets mobile. :-P

6:24 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

lol, what a thing to worry about-- too much fetal movement!:-)

don't be scared about the delivery. you just can't know how it will go, so it's not worth thinking on. all the things I worried about, either they didn't happen, or they did. but most of the things that happened, both times, i would have never anticipated.

a friend of mine who's also expecting just got one of those Arms Reach Cosleepers. If I had it to do again, I might have gone with one of those. I'd get one used tho as they're kinda pricey for a basinette-type thing.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Carrie - thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking at bassinets, but they look too frilly or unstable. I really don't need a rocking one. I know it's silly the things I worry about, but that's what happens when I have too much time on my hands. :-P

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see the business is off and running. Good luck with it.

And 45 minutes on a crib, heh, that's pretty impressive.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, a new business! You've got lots of courage and I wish you great success. Scorekeeping is a drag. I wish you a resolution with that! Smiles!! :D

5:18 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

An easy-to-assemble crib! Wow! I always hear funny/horror stories about putting cribs together...

I admit I'm unfamiliar with scorekeeping outside of my relationship with my ex. Perhaps I'm too forgiving and don't demand enough responsibility from people? (in other words, a big fat pushover?)

Jellybean does sound, well, a bit hyper. Maybe he's getting anxious too!

6:56 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I found that I had a lot more patience too. I also didn't need as much sleep at 36, as I did at 22. Those are both good things that come with age. ;)

Don't the doctors worry about not enough kicking, rather than too much?

7:36 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - Well, the 45 minute assembly was not as much because of our skill as it was attributed to the well written directions and parts that actually fit. :-P

Michael - Thanks! It's still a little scary, but we have to take some chances in life, huh?

SME - I don't know. From what I've learned, it's probably better to just let some things go. It's just that it's incredibly hard for me.

TSHS - Yeah, they have me keep count to make sure his activity level keeps pretty steady through the rest of my pregnancy. Apparently I'm the only one worried about too much activity. :-P

9:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My best friend's baby was born a Preemie and I house sat for him while he and his wife were marooned in a California hspital for 3 months. I was so excited when they said they were driving home, that I assembled a circular bably chair on wheels! When they saw it, they laughed and said their son was too small and wuld "fall through it". I meant well! :)

10:26 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Michael - That is so sweet. I hope your friends' baby is doing well. It's so scary to have a baby early. I'm glad I'm slowly getting past that point - I have a few weeks go to before Jellybean would not be considered to be premature.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home