Sunday, September 02, 2007

Jellybean's Baby Quilt

This is the first baby project I've actually made for our little guy. I found myself quite motivated to get this done in a timely manner, and I realized how cute it would be once I started piecing it all together.

This closeup shot gives you some idea of all the clipping that's involved in making this quilt. At first, I thought the time-consuming part was cutting all the squares, but after I finished sewing it all together, I realized the clipping is the time consuming (and very messy!) part. There are 11 squares in each row, and 11 rows in the blanket. You clip each seam on each square at 1/4" intervals so that they will look "raggy" after going through the washer and dryer.


This is the finished product. I have learned to go to the laundromat to wash the quilt for the first time because there is fuzz everywhere. Also, we have a front-loader at home and it doesn't do the same job that a regular washing machine does with regards to making the fabric edges fray.

Today at the laundromat was especially interesting. I was acutely aware that, out of 20 people in the place, I was the only white girl - the rest were actually Hispanic men. I could understand bits and pieces of what people were saying, but not enough to pay much attention. When I was waiting for the quilt in the dryer, this Asian lady stormed in through the front door, proceeded towards the back door, threw her keys on the ground and began stomping up and down and yelling her head off. Then, she stopped and headed back out the front door. You could have heard a pin drop in that room if not for the laundry machines. Everyone looked at each other, and, as soon as the woman left the building, the men smirked and began talking rapidly in Spanish. I don't have to know the language to figure out what they must have been saying.

Now that my baby quilt adventure is over, I'm quite tired and will go take my nap while I still have the luxury of sleeping.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely Beautiful!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Thanks!

4:49 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Pretty! And so cozy-looking.

Laundromats are always fun...drama, tensions, and weirdness all for the price of a load. Better than the circus. ;D

10:12 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

SME - Thanks! Yeah, I never thought of laundromats that way because they were pretty boring in my hometown. But I guess the weirdness factor fluctuates depending on which laundromat ya go to. :-P It certainly was entertaining, so I really can't complain.

11:13 AM  
Blogger begins with v said...

WOW!!! He will look beautiful all wrapped up in it!

5:48 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Oh that is adorable. I had my god mtoher make the girls new ones but she didnt finish them before my mom came to visit this weekend and I hope she can send them sometime in the next few months before it gets cold again. the girls each have a quilt that she made them when they were born but for some reason they are just growing faster than I want them too. LOL..

6:36 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Slade - Thanks! I hope it won't be too warm for him, but it will be cold here in December, so he'll get some use out of it.

Tweety - I used to have a quilt from my childhood that my great-grandmother had made for me. I never knew what happened to it. :-/

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange (the story, not the quilt).

As for the quilt, looks good.

As for me, not a quilt, but Mom made me an afghan. I love hand made stuff.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - Yeah, strange things happen to me once in a while. :-P

I still have an afghan that was made for me by my grandma for my high school graduation present. I always want to keep it.

7:13 AM  
Blogger mckay said...

love the quilt! makes me wish i was having a baby

:0)

laundromats are great blog fodder. i need to go again soon. my quilt is dirty and i currently have blogger's block.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

mckay - Thanks for visiting! If you're stuck for blog material, you could also try your local social security office - I've had some experiences there too! :-P

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home