Tuesday, September 04, 2007

A Major Milestone

It was my son's first day of high school today. I had to work today, but I thought about him and found myself distracted. Yesterday, he was less than enthusiastic to be returning to school. It about killed me to wait for him to get home today to call him. Our phone conversation a bit ago went something like this:

Me: Well......?
K: Yeah?
Me: How did it go today?
K: Pretty easy (upbeat tone to his voice)
Me: You realize it's not going to stay easy (ever the realist)
K: Yeah (voice slightly less upbeat)
Me: Did you get your locker open? Do you have to share a locker or do you get your own?
K: We get our own, but I didn't open it today. I'll open it tomorrow.
Me: What did you have for lunch?
K: I didn't eat lunch - I didn't feel hungry.
Me: WHAT?!? You need to eat lunch - it's not good for you to skip meals. Promise me that you'll eat lunch tomorrow.
K: Don't worry mom. (notice the lack of a promise...)
Me: How about your teachers?
K: My health teacher must lift weights. I should stay on her good side.
Me: I don't think teachers are allowed to rough students up, so you should be okay. What about your other teachers? How was Spanish? Did you learn any words today?
K: No, but I picked out my fake name - Jesus. I picked Jesus because of Taladega Nights. You know, where he says "or as our neighbors to the south call you "Jesus"". My friend picked Fabio.
Me: (finally remembering the prayer scene in Taladega Nights) I like Jesus better than Fabio - good choice.
K: I'm pretty lucky because I sit by my friends in all my classes.
Me: Did you see any cute girls?
K: No.
Me: You mean you're at high school and there are no cute girls? There should be plenty!
K: Well, yeah....
Me: Anything else on your mind?
K: Nope.
Me: If you need any help with homework, you'll call me, right?
K: Yeah
Me: Love you
K: Yeah, I love you too.

/sigh

12 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

Sounds like our neighbors son. He went into middle school yesterday but he is new at his school and came home with a girl friend that lives around the corner from him. LOL... It was funny. He brought her down here to show her off yesterday when he got home. It was just sweet. Kids are adorable when you think about it. Even high school kids.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tweety - K has his good points, even in his teen years. :-P Overall, I really can't complain - he's a good kid. As far as girlfriends, I think K might be a late bloomer, which is fine with me. That's how I was too.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised he even had that much to say. If my mom would have dared ask me about my first day of high school, she would have gotten, "It was fine," and nothing else.

You have a good egg there, which must mean you're pretty good at this parenting thing. Keep it up.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Actually, Kit, you're right. I usually don't get that much out of him. Sometimes just a series of grunts, especially if he's mad at me. Well, when he's mad, I get the silent treatment. I'm not sure how good I am at parenting - I've made plenty of mistakes. But I always wanted to have a kid I could talk to and joke with, which I can with K. I just don't like living so far away from him, so I probably check in with him more often than he'd like.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Your son likes to talk. (I'm being sarcastic).

I like his fake name. I was Octavio.

Oh, if he was anything like I was, he won't tell his mother when he sees a cute girl. Don't worry, that's normal. :)

9:16 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I wasnt insulting K. I think its good he is a late bloomer in his own ways. He will find a girl friend some day and go head over heel for her and that is all you will hear about in a few years. LOL.. I understand how that goes too I think. I remember being a teen. I just keep telling my girls to watch themselves because they are so cute. LOL...

5:24 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

ZS - He's told me about one girl who he insists is just a friend, but he doesn't like girls who are flashy. It's just not his style. You'd be surprised about the stuff he discloses to me, but it's a two way street. When he asks be about something, I'm brutally honest. Octavio is pretty good too. I took Spanish in college, but we never got to pick our names. :-/

Tweety - I didn't take it as an insult. No worries.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HAHA! I loved this dialogue. When he gets more time at school under his belt, I'll bet you'll be hearing about a lot more!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Michael - I usually hear from K because all of his grades I am able to access online. He knows I check regularly, so now he doesn't wait for me to call and nag him. He calls me when he's had a snafu and explains what happens. Or, he'll call me to tell me what he did that was good, especially if it was challenging for him.

12:23 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Yet another similarity between Z and K! Z doesn't like the "flashy" girls either. He likes girls with a brain who can carry on an intelligent conversation.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

TSHS - I think K would also like a girl who likes the outdoors. He is big into fishing and camping, and not at all big on the mall. :-P

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Notta - Yeah, college is too serious. I had to use my real name too.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home